Comp Safari Tornado - TVR Manifolds

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so hello everyone. I am also new to modifying land rovers and racing them so if anyone can give me some advice, please that would be great.

I have a project Tornado on a Discovery 1 chassis. Its got a RV8 engine moved back and down and I have some TVR Griff manifolds which very nearly fit. I hoped to go this route because of the limited space for the manifolds to go down and backwards. Anyway, the offside manifold snags on the power steering box. Short of 'easing' it with a big hammer (which I am happy to do if required) I wonder if anyone has put these manifolds in a similar set up and if so how? I have seen a P38 steering box fitting kit which might move the steering box out of the way but if there is a simpler option to get these manifolds to fit please let me know.

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Matt

Welcome aboard! But we neeeeeeed pictures :D

Joking aside, being able to see the space you've got and clearance issue would definitely help. Are the manifolds tubular, rather than cast? Don't forget that on normal rubber mounts an engine will move around more than you'd think.

Hi lo-fi,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes - I have been thinking the same re engine moving and the effect on clearance.

Having slept on it I think the easiest solution will be to cut the 'can' part of the manifolds (they are tubular steel with an oversize collector) and shorten them by an inch or so and then re-weld it all back together, rather than changing/moving the steering box, which would cause more issues I suspect.

Happy days.

Matt