Parts theft!

youngengineer

Have just been pulled over by police for tail lights.

Very surprised to see both lenses missing.

Very anoying as they were the original glass screw type lense covers and the best feature of the car imo.

A quick eBay search shows nothing.. I guess I will have to buy one of those nasty plastic units?

The most worrying thing is that this was clearly commited by a fellow series owner. I doubt the average scrote would know that they simply unscrew like they do. Never in a lifetime would I have imagined that I would be a victim of theft by a series owner. I know this happens with defenders all the time but come on, a series?

Edited by youngengineer

22 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Sorry to hear that, that's rotten! 

Do you mean the smaller glass type found on many British cars, or the military type that are roughly the same size as defender/later series ones? Either fetch a premium, sadly. 

It's the military ones which are small and round.

Atleast they spared me the indicators and sidelights.

IMG_20191023_171817.jpg

I make adaptors which screw into the holders and take defender lenses. Stops that sort of thing right in its tracks! You can swap the glass ones back in if you want her in "Sunday best", of course. Be happy to send you a couple. 

2 hours ago, lo-fi said:

I make adaptors which screw into the holders and take defender lenses. Stops that sort of thing right in its tracks! You can swap the glass ones back in if you want her in "Sunday best", of course. Be happy to send you a couple. 

Sounds like you've encountered this problem before. Glad there is a solution that does not require changing out the entire socket. I can imagine that plenty of these have become damaged/stolen over the years and stock has dried up. I have a friend who is looking in his box tomorrow as he may have a set. It's a shame to have to resort to fitting less desirable parts to avoid theft. What have we come to? I'm worried about painting it now as it may attract someone to take the entire thing!

Edited by youngengineer

So sorry to hear about your awful news. They want their fingers chopping off !!!

Anyway, all may not be lost. There's a place based in Scotland i believe, XMOD. look them up on internet.

Ive had a few bits from them when i couldn't get them from anywhere else. They MIGHT, be able to sort you out.

Good look mate.

All the best

Dave.

A friend of mine had experienced the same with the big plastic MoD type lenses, so he used to drill and tap a hole to fit a locking grub screw at the 6 o’clock position on each lamp.  You might be able to do something similar with these glass types if you can get a diamond drill bit, or cut a locating slot with a grinder.