Sign in to follow this  
western

A little project for a Saturday morning.

Recently bought this drop arm conversion kit. https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/defender-drop-arm-conversion-kit-stainless-steel/

so this morning saw me outside on a chilly/windy day but not raining for a change to get the old drop arm off which I found was slightly loose on the steering box shaft, it all came off easily no 'beat the carp out of it ' to do.

then once the steering shaft was cleaned up, the new Discovery type drop arm went on & torqued up & locked, set the drag link & it's ball joints up & fitted, then fit the steering damper attachment. all went together very well & pleased with the result, the bit of steering slop I had has gone, probably because the drop arm is tight as a tight thing in tights on the steering box shaft. so some photo's because I know you all like photo's 

IMG_20191109_101606.jpg

IMG_20191109_115104.jpg

IMG_20191109_121422.jpg

IMG_20191109_122741.jpg

IMG_20191109_122744.jpg

Drop-Arm-Coversion-Kit-Fitting-Advice.pdf

• Like 1

Nice work Ralph, it was Pimply Sissing down up country in Somerset. No driveway land rover maintenance today:(

You manage to get your drop arm off without too much hassle?

Is that an Old Man Britpart steering damper ?

I do like the idea of the Disco steering arm.

the standard drop arm was slightly loose, so came off easily, 

Steering damper is NOT britpart its a Old Man Emu unit.

One of the first jobs I did when I got my 110 was replace the steering damper and got Britpart as I didn't know any better. I must have been lucky as 10 years on its still fine. 

Nice job Ralph Gwynlewis does tidy stuff like that.

• Like 2

I also have the stainless track rod on other side of axle, & their spray guards in front & rear wheelarches. 

That's a nice kit , they do make some cracking useful stuff . You were lucky with the drop arm coming off so easily Ralph.

What's leaking on the inside of the OS front wheel ?

cheers

Steve b 

Think. It's the hub inner seal, got to sort that soon, need to get a new seal first. 

You and I bought the same kit. Glad your drop arm came off easier than mine.

I will swap my track rod in a week or so and get the tracking checked at the MOT which I'm just about to book. I know it shouldn't change as the new rod will be set to the same length but better to be sure.

• Like 2

I fitted my track rod yesterday and it has grease-able track rod ends, as does the drag link. Almost as an afterthought I asked Gwyn Lewis via email if the TREs are supplied pre-greased. They replied within a few minutes advising that no, they need grease, "about three pumps will do".

It's a bit beefier than the old one!

IMG_0585.thumb.jpeg.ade19a8baf103603555fd537ac9d8ea6.jpeg