LWB rear tub measurement

uninformed

Thanks very much @Gazzar

Is that a Stage 1?

all the LWB tubs ive seen over here (Australia) except Stage 1 have the fuel filler about 8 inches behind the door. And I just realised I should have specified LWB Hardtop tub.

So im looking for the measurement of the type that has the filler close to door.

cheers

Serg

1981 standard petrol LWB. Originally a hard top, but now a pickup.

I think most civilian series 3 had the tank in the back, and the filler behind the back wheel.

4 hours ago, Gazzar said:

1981 standard petrol LWB. Originally a hard top, but now a pickup.

I think most civilian series 3 had the tank in the back, and the filler behind the back wheel.

Ok I wasn’t aware of that. Maybe I was looking at S11 and SIIAs??

I still need the measurement of the type with fuel filler close to door.

Im custom building a 110 with longer cab and shorter rear overhang.

L19 MUD has a 2a 109 in build with the underseat tank , he may be able to give you a measurement, it sounds like a little build thread is in order here with pictures please :)

Are you planning on using a 90 tank ? A check on the position of the 90 filler too might be worthwhile - just thinking about the rubber connecting pipe .

cheers

Steve b

45 minutes ago, steve b said:

L19 MUD has a 2a 109 in build with the underseat tank , he may be able to give you a measurement, it sounds like a little build thread is in order here with pictures please :)

Are you planning on using a 90 tank ? A check on the position of the 90 filler too might be worthwhile - just thinking about the rubber connecting pipe .

cheers

Steve b

90s are not common in Oz and their, along with all LR parts are $$$ these days. My rear overhang will be longer than SWB but shorter the LWB. Underseat tank wont work I dont think as I have made longer trailing and radius arms and new mounts accordingly

build is on Instagram - Kustom110 (if not on insta just google "kustom110 instagram")

I'm sorry, but your requests on here are confusing, or at best, lack clarity.
Initially it made me wonder how clear you were about what you are doing or want to do.
I've followed your link before making these comments. I've seen the pictures but only read some of the words.
You have clearly done a lot of 'chassis' work so you have been clear about that aspect of the work.

Terminology :
I'm not sure you are reducing the 'overhang', which I would take to mean the distance between the rear axle and the rearmost cross member, or tail gate.

Rather you intend to stretch the cab to give more legroom, and reduce the length of the tub, while maintaining the standard overall length of a 110. (I think).

What are standard fuel tank positions?
In a Series 2 or 3 109 there are three possible standard positions for a fuel tank.
Under the drivers seat; Under the passenger seat; Under the rearmost end of the tub floor, thus behind the rear axle.
There are variations:
The underseat tanks can be filled by removing the seat cushion, then a metal cover, then unscrewing the tank cap. This is underseat fill.
For the drivers side underseat tank the alternative standard fill point is just behind the trailing edge of the door. This is known as side fill.
For the rear tank the standard fill point is again side fill, but with the filler positioned as pictured earlier in this thread.

Your 110 appears to have a rear mounted tank, but you apparently want to fit a non-standard side fill, for reasons your haven't explained here.

Pictures and appropriate comments, even if just copied from your Instagram account, will get you a better response here.
Incidentally, I have a 109 with twin underseat tanks, but they are underseat fill, so I cannot provide you with the measurement you ask for; although I struggle to understand why you want a 'standard' dimension, when every thing around will be non-standard.

Regards.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:21 PM, David Sparkes said:

I'm sorry, but your requests on here are confusing, or at best, lack clarity.
Initially it made me wonder how clear you were about what you are doing or want to do.
I've followed your link before making these comments. I've seen the pictures but only read some of the words.
You have clearly done a lot of 'chassis' work so you have been clear about that aspect of the work.

Terminology :
I'm not sure you are reducing the 'overhang', which I would take to mean the distance between the rear axle and the rearmost cross member, or tail gate.

Rather you intend to stretch the cab to give more legroom, and reduce the length of the tub, while maintaining the standard overall length of a 110. (I think).

What are standard fuel tank positions?
In a Series 2 or 3 109 there are three possible standard positions for a fuel tank.
Under the drivers seat; Under the passenger seat; Under the rearmost end of the tub floor, thus behind the rear axle.
There are variations:
The underseat tanks can be filled by removing the seat cushion, then a metal cover, then unscrewing the tank cap. This is underseat fill.
For the drivers side underseat tank the alternative standard fill point is just behind the trailing edge of the door. This is known as side fill.
For the rear tank the standard fill point is again side fill, but with the filler positioned as pictured earlier in this thread.

Your 110 appears to have a rear mounted tank, but you apparently want to fit a non-standard side fill, for reasons your haven't explained here.

Pictures and appropriate comments, even if just copied from your Instagram account, will get you a better response here.
Incidentally, I have a 109 with twin underseat tanks, but they are underseat fill, so I cannot provide you with the measurement you ask for; although I struggle to understand why you want a 'standard' dimension, when every thing around will be non-standard.

Regards.

I will be reducing the rear overhang.

I am lengthening the truck cab, longer doors.

I do not have a rear tub as my Defender is a Cab Chassis

My intentions are to use a Series rear tub (LWB hardtop). I will need to shorten the distance from the trailing edge of the door (front edge of tub) to the wheel arch. I will need to shorten the rear of  the tub from the wheel arch to rear end.

again, all im after is the measurement from the door edge (front edge of tub) to the rear edge of the SIDE FILLER (the type close to the door)

Unfortuneatly I dont have the time to do the build thread here. This forum is not phone friendly and even jinky on my computer and that means double the work. Instagram is very easy and quick for me and given im spending most my non working time on my LR I made the decision to keep it to instagram only. I was on multiple LR forums for years but most have dropped off with real tech last few years IMO.

You dont have to be a member on instagram or have it on your phone, you can google "Kustom110 Instagram"

On 11/11/2019 at 4:28 AM, uninformed said:

Ok I wasn’t aware of that. Maybe I was looking at S11 and SIIAs??

I still need the measurement of the type with fuel filler close to door.

Im custom building a 110 with longer cab and shorter rear overhang.

I think there are only two tub types for SIII 109 two doors (excluding Hi Caps)’ and it’s just the fuel filler that is different.  Stage 1has the same tub as the four or six cylinders, and they’re the same whether they’re pickup, soft top or hard top.  They are drilled for rear door hinges or tailgate antiluces as required, but the holes for the antiluces are already stamped in the aluminium and it’s only the galv capping that needs drilling or punching.  They all have the rope cleats for the rag top, too.

None had the rectangular aperture behind the door like a 90 - they either have the arched recess at the back end on the right or the same cutting in the radius under the cappings like the 88” models.  The position of those forward fillers may differ from the 88 as the tub bulkhead is in a different position, though I suspect the piping just runs in front of the 109’s bulkhead from the same position instead of behind it like on the 88.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

I think there are only two tub types for SIII 109 two doors (excluding Hi Caps)’ and it’s just the fuel filler that is different.  Stage 1has the same tub as the four or six cylinders, and they’re the same whether they’re pickup, soft top or hard top.  They are drilled for rear door hinges or tailgate antiluces as required, but the holes for the antiluces are already stamped in the aluminium and it’s only the galv capping that needs drilling or punching.  They all have the rope cleats for the rag top, too.

None had the rectangular aperture behind the door like a 90 - they either have the arched recess at the back end on the right or the same cutting in the radius under the cappings like the 88” models.  The position of those forward fillers may differ from the 88 as the tub bulkhead is in a different position, though I suspect the piping just runs in front of the 109’s bulkhead from the same position instead of behind it like on the 88.

Ok I think I understand what you are saying. I don’t think we ever got the hi-cap here until the late Tdci Defender. They would either be truck cab or hard top. I have only seen them filler forward except for stage 1. But by know means have I been paying attention until of late and I’m no expert.

I would not have expected the rear bulkhead to be any different between a 88” and 109” in truck cab or hard top??

The 88 rear bulkhead is much closer to the front bulkhead: when fitting a truck cab to an 88, one needs an infill panel to bridge the gap, the back of the truck cab being about 2 inches behind the rear bulkhead.

This? The mark is the centre of the cap over the half shaft.

43" and 13/16ths.

As to centrality? The second two measurements were at the height of the valence, so that might give to an idea.

IMG_20191117_153326.jpg

IMG_20191117_153348.jpg

IMG_20191117_153357.jpg

6 hours ago, Gazzar said:

The 88 rear bulkhead is much closer to the front bulkhead: when fitting a truck cab to an 88, one needs an infill panel to bridge the gap, the back of the truck cab being about 2 inches behind the rear bulkhead.

First off, thanks for those measurements. Perfect!

Second, Im not quite understanding the above. Many years ago I use to have a SIII SWB truck cab. Now maybe I dont have the correct terminology, but just behind the seats is what I call the rear bulkhead. This angled back from the seat base then the last bit was vertical to where the side and rear windows would mount. In my mind this looks identical to the LWB Hardtop and truck cab tubs Ive seen? Given they are all the same front bulkhead, seat base, doors, roof, side and rear windows, Im not seeing how they differ.

What gap are you referring for the need of a infill panel?

And I wonder what my 300Tdi 110 truck cab is closer to? This is a cab chassis truck cab, so no tub. I was thinking of drilling out the rivets and spot welds on mine to remove the shot sides and do same on the LWB tub and use both togther. Reason is the upgraded strength and seat belt fixings of the Defender over series.

Edited by uninformed

Exactly. That rear bulkhead is 2 inches or so closer to the front on the 88".

eBay.co.uk for a series truck cab infill panel.

I've no idea what shape the modern coil spring things are in that area. Though I suspect that they don't have this difference as the "90" and subsequent defenders are quite a bit longer than the 88".

I think the seat belt fittings are the same for the truck cab, though, big bracket thing in the cab sides for the upper, Socket bolted to the floor and a bracket from floor to chassis.