Td5 loom and temp sensor

Earth would be through engine, 1 terminal is 12v power feed & other is the temp signal back to the ECU so the it knows the engine temp & along with other sensors tells the ECU what is good or bad.

just run the correct colour code wire from the existing temp sender direct to the temp gauge,  you don't need the td5 temp sender.

TD5 coolant-temperature-sensor feeds to the ECU, not the gauge.

The coolant-temperature-sensor is used (along with the fuel-temperature sensor on the pressure-regulator, and the intake-air-temperature sensor in the air-filter-casing) to let the TD5 ECU make decisions on fuelling, EGR-volume, boost-limit, glowplug-energisation etc.

As a bit of a sideline the ECU sends a composite-of-various-sensors signal to the dashboard temperature-gauge.

Your 'clockwork' engine doesn't need these signals - so single-wire your existing sensor back to an old-style 200/300TDI gauge and it should work.

• Like 1

Now I know why 😂 thanks 👍

I did bridge the wires at the ecu plug and gauge did go to hot when I earthed it out,

as I have no ecu tried wiring it in via think was green yellow today at the gauge earth out went to hot so put on temp sender took for a drive to get up to temp but broke down spent the next two hours waiting for the AA🙄

• Sad 1