2005 automatic Freelander gear deletion

Aitch69

Hi I have a 2005 freelander 1 automatic , I have a issue when selecting “D” I have a yellow light (HDC) that comes up on the dash , I can drive the car but I get 4 come up on the dash and then It changes to a F. If I m really carful when selecting “D” I can prevent the yellow light (HDC) coming on but the slightest movement of the gear shift  puts the light on ? 

Edited by Aitch69
Miss spelling

I have the same problem with my 2005 TD4 auto. Flashing F4 on the display is a generic error. I bet it happens after a short run and you stop and restart it? I also bet if you start it in N it won't do it and if you flip the connector off the LHS from that controls the Sport mode it will never do it!

I've tried a lot of things including a diagnostic test. I've:

Replaced the whole gear selector, replaced the gearbox ECU, replaced the Inhibitor switch, done voltage and continuity checks on the two barrel connectors (they are not damaged or corroded), done continuity checks on the wiring to the Sport mode connector. 

Basically, the ECU things Sport mode is engaged and you are trying to engage hill descent. So it throws up the error light. It does not go into limp mode and nothing else happens.

All I do now is start it the Neutral. I've driven almost 10k miles like it. But I'd still like to know what the hell it is!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...