Uk to Romania

Nivek

Hi guys,

I’m new here but not to Landy’s, not sure how active this forum is but thought I’d give it a go,

June 2020 (yes, after Brexit, possibly) I will be driving to Romania and back for my holidays. Going via France, Italy, Croatia, Slovenia because I’ve done the direct route back in 2010. 
The reason for my post is that I am asking for knowledge of small campsites en-route and was hoping that people local to these areas may be able to help. Most stops will be for only one night.

Many thanks in advance

• Like 2

D3 2007, just got 100k on it so looking for a trouble free trip.  I drove to Chisinau in a Defender 110 in 2010 and done The Sahara in Tunisia 3 times. This trip I’ll do the Transfagarasan which should be quite special.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've done it but I couldn't tell you anywhere useful to stop... there was a really good motel in Romania that remains the single best shower I've ever had in a hotel ever and it was like £20 a night...

We've just done France / Italy (alps & Italian lakes) in the ambulance but not gotten round to writing anything about it... mind you, we did Croatia + Bosnia in the Freelander years ago and I haven't written that up either :ph34r:

I can recommend the campsite at Lake Bled in Slovenia in the Julian Alps.

A great drive is the Vršič Pass south to Kranjska Gora which is a fifty hairpin, narrow and cobbled road with 18% gradient for 900m of the northern side. No real problems turning in our 110 300TDi  

In Kranska Gora I recommend the Natura Eco camp, fantastically dark and quiet.

In northern Croatia, if you have time, you could visit Plitvička Jezera, sixteen lakes all cascading from one to another. There’s a National Park campsite 10km south of the southern entrance to the lakes. Highly recommended.

Kranska Gora:

P1090344.JPG

Vršič Pass:

P1090334.JPG

Edited by Peaklander
Added pics
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Peaklander said:

A great drive is the Vršič Pass south to Kranjska Gora which is a fifty hairpin, narrow and cobbled road with 18% gradient for 900m of the northern side. No real problems turning in our 110 300TDi 

We drove that too, a great road with a view of a face in the side of the mountain if memory serves..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Camping just before the German/Austrian border: Camping Donautal, Schillerstr, 94577 Nesslbach, DE.  In the next small town there is a very good greek restaurant

Fuel at the Austrian/Hungarian border: JET Parndorf, exit Outlet center, Strasse 1,

Cheap hotel in Hungary just after the AT border with parkingspace: www.hotelminerva.hu   

I'm living on east side of Hungary not so far from Romanian border (Debrecen). If you need help on that area you can contact with me.
Few weeks ago had very good trip to Romania and in the Romanian mountains with 3 Disco (2- D1, 1-D3)
I can suggest this place for sleeping, (Pensiunea Moara Zsigmond), and there are several nice place close to there.

DSC_0319.JPG

DSC_0376.JPG

DSC00352.JPG

• Like 3