300tdi Safe EGT temps

The 720 number is the continuous maximum specified by Garret for their turbos.  Nobody really knows what is the safe maximum.  A lot of people run much higher and are not destroying the engines.  720 is probably a nice safe temperature to run fall of the time.  

What boost are you running?

• Thanks 1

That’s great thank you. I’m rarely going above 600. I’ve not got a boost gauge so I’m not sure, it’s just as set by BAS who supplied the turbo.

I was hitting a steep motorway down in Spain yesterday and noticed it at ~650 and  realised it’d not been that high before.

I don't have an egt.

I've been tweaking with excellent results.

My only test at present is a handheld u.v temp pistol. After a 3 km sustained 3500rpm 4 gear full boost pull. I jump out,  lift the bonnet and take readings, 25 secs later. I know it's funny, but that's my temporary method. I haven't measured more than 480 deg c on the maniflold turbo region. Normal highway drive 280deg C.

My question is how much hotter would the gas measure at a sensor probe ? ...compared to the thermally conducted reading I'm measuring.?

I'm preparing this tough old disco 1 for a 1500km motorway xmas trip to leave at a beach property as a street legal hack about.

I am very cautious now. Having cooked a tdi 300 on another disco 1 in 42deg( when I turned it off at a roadhouse

without cooling for a while !)...and subsequent summer trips.  Damaged 2 p38 v8s.!! Same conditions. 

Despite preparation and care.!!

**** sometimes happens.

I don't want problems this time.

Can someone recommend an egt guage and probe that will install simply.

All year I'm in alpine cool temps. But that one xmas trip often experiences days of 37-42.

I don't want to hurt another engine. Or be roadside awaiting a tilt tray in 42deg with grumpy family again.

I'm happy to drive 20kph slower.

But I want to know if I need to.

• 4 years later...

300tdi Defender 90 , I have a sensor tapped into the EGR blanking plate , that reading was after a 70mph run up the M25 slip road at J8 for Reigate, a long steady climb, I replaced the injection pump recently and it had been opened up by the previous owner ( on this forum too ) The other reading is the temperature in the pipe going to the intercooler 

From verious Internet research I've done I came to the conclusion that 750 degrees continous seems to be the "general" turbocharger rule of thumb, so it can take higher but for shorter periods of time, I looked at verious information streams from all sorts of vehicle sized turbochargers, the last piece I read was to do with i think D3/4 engine ecu's starting to limit functions when it detected egts over 750, to avoid the temp rising further.

This data weirdly seems to pretty guarded by the manufacturers. Engine tuners/remap people will be good people to talk to about turbo temps.

• Like 1

Interesting to see intercooler inlet temp that high. I think the 750 deg is for the oil as much as anything, we used to have a Saab 900 for many years, and a fast B road drive would get the manifold and turbo glowing, quite orange, but we never had any turbo issues; the bearing was water cooled.

I was also surprised how hot the air gets once compressed by the turbo, boost is about 0.8 bar , the boost is nearer 20 psi on my 200tdi and the pipe to the intercooler gets up to 150 degrees on the same run but always has a lower maximum EGT ( standard pump reconditioned by CJ Diesels ) 

More fuel burning = higher temps. A bigger intercooler will help keep temperatures lower. There is anecdotal evidence that for every 1° intake temp reduction you will get a 10° EGT reduction.

I have seen a marked reduction going from a standard intercooler to a large intercooler. 

HTH

Mo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 1:04 PM, Mo Murphy said:

I have seen a marked reduction going from a standard intercooler to a large intercooler. 

The same with boost pressure. Higher pressure makes lower EGT