Series clutch release question

oldbrad

I'm in the process of renovating the clutch in a series III 2.25 diesel.

The manual says to remove the clip (see below parts 7) however the fork was free to remove without  extracting the clip. There was no part 571164 behind the pivot ball that the clip could engage with (2nd picture). It looks like 571164 is either missing or was never fitted.

Obviously the clutch has been working in the past without the  clip and 571164.

So my question is 'what is the function of the clip and  does it matter that 571164 is missing?'

clutch-release-parts.jpeg

571164.jpeg

Edited by oldbrad

The various small parts of the S3 clutch have part numbers and aren't very expensive.  The plastic cup in the fork which sits on the ball can wear through can can be replaced.  I think the feeble plastic link may be to hold the thing together during assembly or while assembled components were being moved around the factory - but again it costs little and I'd rather not have to dismantle a clutch again.  Much the same goes for the spring but that does keep the arm in place on the ball.

The big steel clip and the pressed collar do matter - apart from keeping everything together when refitting the transmission or engine, the collar also helps keep the grease on the pivot, rather than allowing it to spread down the ball’s neck and away from where it’s needed.  In over 300,000 miles, the plastic cup on my fork is still good because the grease has protected it.

The little staple that secures the release bearing carrier to the fork, on the other hand, is not important.