Solar panels

ianmayco68

My panel was pre-wired with about a metre of each polarity cable and with MC4 connectors (one plug and one socket to preserve polarity). You will need to extend these and cables to do this are freely available with a matching plug and socket on one end, which just push together and clip. Be careful as this then swaps the polarity. You can put what you want on the other, such as the Anderson you have suggested. I have wondered about opening the connector box on the back of my panel and hard wiring into there to cut-out the connector. This though would prevent the panel from being removed easily.

There are some warnings about disconnecting solar panels when they are 'under load' but I don't know if that means that they should be shaded when you do so. It might determine whether an Anderson connector is suitable or whether the smaller MC4 are enough.

There's a decision to make about cable cross section but I think 2.5 mm2 is sufficient unless you are "going portable" with a longer run when maybe a thicker cable is needed. 

• Like 1