Lowest effort rx 8 seat fitting to 90

mad_pete

On 10/17/2020 at 8:23 AM, Ed Poore said:

Was wondering if you could make the rails quick release with a horizontal lynch pin?

That’s the area I’m thinking. I’ve seen tip back done but in the truck cab there is only one way to go. I did try and get on with bolting in but the chuck slipped off my pillar drill and I think I need to smooth the taper a touch first.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting!

I was looking at mine the other day, as I wanted a keyless check. On doing some research I found that my existing keyed chuck was held in place by a Jacobs taper and a threaded collar to hold it in place.

I could not find a keyless check with a threaded collar and so now I'm just going to buy a new chuck key as that was the only thing that was wrong with mine!

Has yours sheared or just fallen out? I read online that the taper should be sufficient for dilling holes but apllying side loading could see it pop out.

Steve

It popped out. I did slightly side load it but I think the taper could do with some tlc.

Im smoothing it out a little make sure I have no ridges.

9161FFBB-1F52-46B1-A86C-DCF57EBC6A71.jpeg.c1bbe5541075e370f222b40b7f37bf04.jpeg

This is my keyless chuck https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/high-quality-precision-keyless-drill-chuck-1-13-mm-jt6-mount/

On mine the threaded collar is for removal of it just the taper holds it in.

• 1 month later...

So my current problem is my in car computer box stops me being able to move the seat back enough to put the front bolts in (the joys of a truck cab).  I’ll look at moving that and see if it helps. I could weld some extending tabs on but I’ll try to avoid that if I can.

Just sheared one of my bolts off and cross threaded the captive nut so I guess now is a good time to talk bolt strength and spreader plates. Ideally I want something captive to bolt into but can’t seem to find anything that has the nut already attached that isn’t massive.  Should I have high strength bolts ?

I don't think it matters particularly on the strength - you just over did it, I use standard M8 8.8s on my L322 seats.

If you have a look at the design of the seatbox you'll see it's a load of panels pop riveted together near the rear. Don't do what I did and only span the main bit at the front. It eventually wore through the pop rivets and broke with vibrations. OK the 322 seats are probably a damn sight heavier but make the spreader plates big enough to span the joins.

I can try and take some photos when (maybe if) I get back home.

IMG_20201227_152201.thumb.jpg.979f72961efe8c5fe7829ef534d113f4.jpg

WIMG_20201227_152208.thumb.jpg.429734058d126b3551845b28379df52b.jpg

IMG_20201227_152239.thumb.jpg.8194f7e63bb594cb93a964348c31c87e.jpg

Okay that's one in. The offset bolts clip the rail at full forward. Position wise I'm happy and it's a great seat. Might tidy it all up later. Maybe make it again out of something a touch thicker. 

That’s the easy one done. Onto the heavy awkward drivers one. 🙂

Okay as it’s an mot requirement that seats move I plan to wire up the drivers for movement.

The wire colors are listed as:

Seat Motion

Grey - +12v
Purple - Ground

Lumbar

Yellow w/red stripe - +12v
White w/yellow stripe Ground

Seat Heater

Blue - +12v

So I need to find a pretty relay board to put some relays in and find some heated seat buttons.

Depending on the current requirement, I've used a few of these type of things:

4 Way 12V Relay Board

This is 'rated' at 30A, though it's a slightly Chinese 30A - so probably good for 10-15A long term.  That said, they've been pretty good.

Fot my heated seats, I used a simple timer relay such as:

Timer Relay

This one has delay on + delay off.  Just set the delay on to zero (so it switches on immediately).  10 mins seems to be about right to save your bottom from getting singed!

Si

• Thanks 1

So into the complex world of crimpers and connectors. I looked on the forum and Lois like a minefield. I ideally want a six pin connector with the right crimping tool. The seat move wire looks pretty thick so maybe a 15 amp connection. Anyone have suggestions for tool and connector set to get please ?

• 3 weeks later...