help

nick beale

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum

I'm by no means an expert on the P38 , but it sounds like you may have BeCM issues ? Have you got or had a heater matrix leak as the coolant will track through the carpet to the BeCM under the front seat and they don't like being damp .

Hopefully someone with a bit more detail knowledge will come along , @elbekko has a P38  as do some others here .

cheers

Steve b

21 hours ago, nick beale said:

hi can any one help.i have a p38 and its gone mental abs light on tc light on and saying fuses are blown but all ok how can i rest it?

Are the fuse box contacts clean? They may be dirty or corroded and blocking the current.  Have you tried a replacement fuse, too? Sometimes they can blow in a way that they still look ok.

@nick beale can you be a bit more specific? Which fuses are blown according to the BECM? And what year is your car? That will help us guide you to possible points of failure.

If it's just the ABS/TC that's throwing an error, you can still use the car, you might even have ABS on some wheels, depending on the fault. But if it's a fuse for the brake assist pump, you'd better not drive it as you'll only have front brakes and no assist.

Filip

On 11/19/2019 at 2:21 PM, elbekko said:

Some things even started working again after that, like the mirror dip...

Interesting you mention that, my mirror dip usually goes the wrong way (ie it goes up ..... ) but not all the time, I always assumed it was something to do with the fact that the 2nd hand unit I fitted only had 12 wires instead of 14, but now I wonder if the becm might be damp??? Not that I'll be tempted to open it up unless I have to!

If you have a moist BECM, after drying and giving a good scrub with isopropyl alcohol it's worth coating the PCB with conformal coating - RS, Farnell etc. sell it in spray cans for a few quid.

Here's an example: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/conformal-coatings/0494714/

19 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Interesting you mention that, my mirror dip usually goes the wrong way (ie it goes up ..... )...

I had to study this point in response to a mailing list query, where the enquirer wanted the door mirror to lift when reversing into his driveway.

Reading the drivers handbook closely, when you set this up, you engage reverse then set the required position of the mirror, so the choice of lift or drop is down to the user.
Thus there is no 'wrong' way.

Regards

2 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

so the choice of lift or drop is down to the user.

I went through the handbook once and found how to turn it off, but it didn't last past a flat battery, I'll have to drag it out again and have another shufty, thanks. Not sure why it sometimes goes the other way though.

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

after drying and giving a good scrub with isopropyl alcohol it's worth coating the PCB with conformal coating

Thanks FF, .... it is great to know what we should do ..... just dealing with essentials at the moment but as soon as normal cashflow is resumed I will invest in a couple of cans and perhaps even indulge in some preventative maintenance :o

23 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Thanks FF, .... it is great to know what we should do ..... just dealing with essentials at the moment but as soon as normal cashflow is resumed I will invest in a couple of cans and perhaps even indulge in some preventative maintenance :o

You shouldn't need a couple of cans unless you're coating the whole car! One can will do numerous boards.

For IPA a stiff artists' brush or cheap toothbrush should get any crud gone - then check all the solder joints for corrosion / cracks before coating.

16 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If you have a moist BECM, after drying and giving a good scrub with isopropyl alcohol it's worth coating the PCB with conformal coating - RS, Farnell etc. sell it in spray cans for a few quid.

Here's an example: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/conformal-coatings/0494714/

Yeah, I've had a can of conformal coating sitting around waiting to be applied since then :ph34r: