Front wings look twisted

Given the damage to the brackets to attach that tubular support frame, it’s reasonable to assume the wing attachments are deformed.  The brackets, support and slam panel need removing, repairing and refitting centrally to pull the wings into line.  It’s be worth checking the chassis hasn’t been bent to one side, too - clearly there has been an impact at some point, and while some parts may have been replaced, some have been badly repaired and others ignored, so who knows what is damaged?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

Given the damage to the brackets to attach that tubular support frame, it’s reasonable to assume the wing attachments are deformed.  The brackets, support and slam panel need removing, repairing and refitting centrally to pull the wings into line.  It’s be worth checking the chassis hasn’t been bent to one side, too - clearly there has been an impact at some point, and while some parts may have been replaced, some have been badly repaired and others ignored, so who knows what is damaged?

Yep, i've inspected the chassis numerous time while working on the drivetrains and everything is nice and straight, i think it had a frontal lateral collision in the past... not a big one but enough to mess alignement and some brackets.

I live in Africa so... previous repairs must have been done "under a mango tree" 

Today i"m investigating further more and i play the "7 mistakes game"

For starter the ac condenser is not the right one "they still manage to make the ac work"

IMG_2602.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

Regarding the slam panel here is it's current condition

The central bracket is shot 

IMG_2641.JPG

The whole panel is bent on several places...

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

The brackets that hold the intercooler both look shady as well...

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

Edited by Victor Normandy

So... to get things back to a proper standard...

I would need a new:

Slam panel

ABG710040

Intercooler brackets 

PCU103780

PCU103790

Air con condenser frame top bracket 

JRF100410

And possibly a new condenser fan assembly

JRB100660

GOD ! i think i'm gonna leave its crooked smile for a while...

Just spotted this thread... My drivers wing has drooped since I've had my truck.... Assumed it was history I didn't know about but no evidence of a crash elsewhere on the truck... No brackets issues like yours, but it's got Air-con so wonder if that's part of the issue as stated early in the thread.

Wings.jpg.8de3ff7d7aa12e591839281ccf13abee.jpg

I'll watch with interest but not sure I will be doing anything about mine until it really needs to come apart for other reasons...

8 minutes ago, V8 Freak said:

Just spotted this thread... My drivers wing has drooped since I've had my truck.... Assumed it was history I didn't know about but no evidence of a crash elsewhere on the truck... No brackets issues like yours, but it's got Air-con so wonder if that's part of the issue as stated early in the thread.

I'll watch with interest but not sure I will be doing anything about mine until it really needs to come apart for other reasons...

Yes, 

Looks like it needs shims on the lower part to compensate.

3 hours ago, V8 Freak said:

That’s the normal droop I mentioned.  You just need some big washers between the chassis bracket and bottom of the wing.  Ideally 4mm on the right side and 3mm on the left wing.

Look carefully and you’ll also see how the plastic square around the lights is cocked even further in the same direction, the top edge out of parallel with the panel joint between wing top and front.  The left side will be the same, but not as pronounced.  They have been like that ever since the 300Tdi came in, and quite probably before that.  Every Defender I have seen has it, always worse on the right, and looks terrible with light guards where the slats emphasise the misalignment.  The plastic needs to be removed and the sidelight and indicator holes filed out to set them square.

Some news on the "why my wings look awful" investigation 

I did remove the row of bolt securing the galvanized mushield to the top of the wing, i loosened the 2 bottom bolts on the front of the wing.

So now the wing is more "loose" but can't put it straight.

While removing the mushield i noticed something.

IMG_2655.JPG

The mud shield is almost touching the suspension turret this way

The right wing has the mud shield almost touching this way

IMG_2656.JPG

So maybe that's why the left wing looks bad...

How can i adjust the mud shield ?

Some progress !

the previous owner had shims welded to the slam panels sides. So i cut them, straighten the slam panel.

Shimmed 3 to 4MM  the lower front bolt of the left wing and attach the slam panel without any shims.

First i bolted it to the right wing and then i bolted the left wing and it forced the wing to align perfectly.

With a spirit lever i compared the leveling of the front fender to the top of the wing and it's spot on !

IMG_2663.JPG

Now i have to find the way to make the right wing nice and straight... obviously i can't use the same technique...

On 11/18/2019 at 10:37 AM, V8 Freak said:

Uncle - those folks over at Defender2 who are fastidious over things looking straight and flush (my wing isn't after today :ph34r:) have a thread on this. Basically it requires a few "shims" (washers) on the bottom bolt that goes through to the sticky up bit on the chassis. Having said that you can probably just pick up the bottom corner and lift it back into shape. Not leant on it too heavily recently?

It's been like this since I've had it Ed... This pic is from the winch installation something like 5 years ago... I've climbed all over it and the angle of dangle hasn't altered so don't think it's related to anything heavy on the wings.. 🤣

• Haha 2

On 11/19/2019 at 5:11 PM, Ed Poore said:

Uncle - those folks over at Defender2 who are fastidious over things looking straight and flush (my wing isn't after today :ph34r:) have a thread on this. Basically it requires a few "shims" (washers) on the bottom bolt that goes through to the sticky up bit on the chassis. Having said that you can probably just pick up the bottom corner and lift it back into shape. Not leant on it too heavily recently?

Can't find the thread on defender2...