Is britpart to blame?

DC_

So getting on with the repair of the leaking rear output shaft seal on the LT230. One of the UJ’S Needed replaced so that’s been done. The leak has spoiled the shoes in the trans brake. So ordered new, thinking I’m all done and time to reassemble I went to put the drum back on..... the bugger won’t go on! Yes the handbrake lever is off, yes the adjuster is as low as it will go, I’ve moved the shoes to centre them etc but still no joy.....

so reading on tinternet someone has blamed the Britpart shoes..... I thought I was ordering better. New ones on the way but won’t be here until through the week. 

Has anyone had the same issue? 

If you look at the curvature of these shoes, you’ll see there’s a slight speed bump type shape in them... the blue part doesn’t have these. The ones I’ve ordered for a second time (I’m hoping)does 

12 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Do they fit the curve of the drum? 

If so you may get away with just trimming an end down. 

The drum goes on about half but it’s tight, the shoes pull away from the back plate.... I’ve rubber hammered, no joy.... but... they are very close 

14 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I mean if you remove the shoes, place inside drum, if they fit the curve, then trimming a couple of millimetres from the end of them isn't going to hurt. 

With you now... job for tomorrow. 👍

I’ve had bad Britpart shoes for a 109 in the past - they didn’t even have the same lining material on all four - so it’s not unlikely tho be them.  It looks like the adjuster is backed off all the way.  Are the shoes definitely on the right way around?  Can you compare the old shoes against the new for curvature, lining thickness and length?

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

I’ve had bad Britpart shoes for a 109 in the past - they didn’t even have the same lining material on all four - so it’s not unlikely tho be them.  It looks like the adjuster is backed off all the way.  Are the shoes definitely on the right way around?  Can you compare the old shoes against the new for curvature, lining thickness and length?

They do appear very similar, everything is loosened off for sure. I’ve offered them up along side the old ones and they do seem to match. 

They are on the correct way going by the way they came off (I took pictures) and what the book says. 

I’ll try the fitting them in drum in a bit.... 

Check that the adjuster pawls are actually retracting and they're not caught up or rotated incorrectly inside their housing. Also check that it's free to move in the backplate. It's really good practice to remove and strip the adjuster assembly when renewing shoes - it usually needs it. I've been caught out with this one before! 

• Like 2

I have fitted BP handbrake shoes in the past without any problems.

Before attacking them with the grinder I would +1 for checking the adjuster mechanism, that may be stopping them seating fully. Just because it is backed off it may still be sticking, especially if the old shoes were worn.

Everything was checked and cleaned and still no joy.... UNTIL !! The grinder took about 1-2 mm off the end of the feet that clamps into the adjuster, took a skim off the edge of the brake pad section just at one lip. Bingo !! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Good job :)

Thanks Bowie69, I’ve ordered new shoes again that “should” be non sh** part. So I know if I have any trouble I’ve got the correct ones at the ready..... only the front seized propshaft now free up and it’ll be back on the road. 

19 minutes ago, monkie said:

This is one for the Britpart thread on the international forum. Its frustrating they can sell something so far out of tolerance. Makes me think they must be using a dodgy ruler or measuring tape! 

Or they make them all on a Friday? 😂