Intermittent clutch after replacement - O/D Rebuild (Combined Thread)

7 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

I absolutely agree swapping the standard gear in without changing the forward race will be fine for a short test to prove the fault (or not).

For normal use though I would definitely change it. 

I'm probably the odd one out here, but I have run two different input gears and the one for my overdrive in my transfer box without dropping it to change that forward race. Not good practice, but ok so far over 75k miles. I'm not saying dont do it, but it doesnt appear to be the end of the world if you dont!

• Like 1

The OD main body is off, but the 6 countersunk M10 x 25mm screws that secure the adaptor part to transfer box are putting up a fight, [fitting info says they are 40Nm torque] 1 decided to give in, the other 5 haven't moved, only succeeded in snapping a [Teng tools] 6mm allen driver bit & twisted 2 allen keys, not enough space to get a impact driver & a hammer in to help slacken them off, might have to drop the transfer box anyway to get these darn screws out,  

so not much further forward to seeing if the new gear is going to cure the problem. 

any further work will have to wait until the weekend, not feeling very good & not much energy, I haven't got anything to heat the screws with, got to get a new 6mm allen driver for my toolset as well, can't remember using threadlock on those bolts, the OD has been fitted for over 10 years. the screw that has come out let go with a loud 'crack' so they are very tight, but as they are twisting my allen keys, might have to drill the heads off to release the adpator plate, then remove the left over screw tails.

RESULT :D:i-m_so_happy:

The culprit was my GKN OD unit, with the new standard gear fitted, all back together & a test drive NO more clutch slipping symptoms, pull's every gear as it's meant too. so OD consigned to shelf in my garage, 

the M10 bolts succumbed to a new 6mm cobalt drill bit & a easy out, all came out. so a very happy boy here :D

Thank you all for your assistance & suggestions, I think Mo is the top of the class on this one. :rolleyes:

So for future reference if your vehicle has a GKN Overdrive fitted & you know the normal clutch is good, any slip or no drive while in gear could be a duff clutch unit within the overdrive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V8 Freak said:

So....

You could pull the whole lot off again and fit the old clutch back in really!!

Glad you found the reason finally. 

Well done for the diagnosis Mo..

Neil

Not a chance :P but have got it in the garage, just in case 

Yes so am I :D

10/10 for Mo :i-m_so_happy:

• 5 months later...

Fascinating read - Dogged determination Land-Rover style.

I was in the group who had a spare on the shelf, but after 12 years I found it and dragged it out to use on my V8110 rebuild.  (new Galv Chassis and Bulkhead, new LT 85)  The problem is I didnt have a Speed Sensor (having robbed it for my other 110) - I ordered one up form Devon 4x4 and probably just missed the last one they sold.  I waited for 10 months, and then gave-up.

2 years down the road I'd like to know what people are doing about this? are they simply adding to the 'On the shelf' club, or cutting out the electronics (Id wondered about having the switch operate a relay to feed the solenoid (with another relay, fed from the reversing light switch to disengage the O/D when you select reverse? wasnt there a thing about not having the O/D engaged when in reverse?)

Any help advise and comment gratefully received.

thanks 

Devon 4x4 do a relay to inhibit overdrive when reverse is selected, photo's below 

it should be possible to disconnect the speed sensor & wire the solenoid to operate from the gear knob switch, IIRC mmgemini has done that on his OD unit. 

WP_20170730_15_32_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20170730_15_33_23_Pro.jpg

You can get a speed sensor for a fraction of Devon 4x4s prices from RS Components IIRC. (I think there was a thread on the lro forum some years ago with the part numbers). There's also an overdrive spares place in Sheffield that sells parts for these a LOT cheaper than D44. (Amazes me that d44 have any custom when you look at how much they charge for things!!)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, reb78 said:

You can get a speed sensor for a fraction of Devon 4x4s prices from RS Components IIRC. (I think there was a thread on the lro forum some years ago with the part numbers). There's also an overdrive spares place in Sheffield that sells parts for these a LOT cheaper than D44. (Amazes me that d44 have any custom when you look at how much they charge for things!!)

You are correct - there was a thread somewhere (i thought on here but I cant find it) - I also looked at the RS components sensor, but it was not a like for like replacement - in fact it was quite different.  Im slightly surprised that one of the smarter people on here, haven't made some sort of adaptor for it. 

I'll try to track down the Sheffield place

thanks 

B