Intermittent clutch after replacement - O/D Rebuild (Combined Thread)

Yes! - so in 4 years we have not made any progress on that front!  Oh well!  I will try the relay and the reversing switch approach.

was your kit from Devon 4x4?

- I wonder if anyone has worked out how to make the LED  in the gear knob work to show if it is engaged?  if not I could put a bigger brighter LED on the dash.  (forgetful moi?)

Thanks Ralph.

B

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, western said:

It's getting better with use, most likely the new clutch parts beginning to bed in, I'll check the fluid level on friday & have a good look around for any leaks, but haven't seen any telltale spots on the ground. I'm happy with it & my 110 seems a bit queiter even without OD engaged.

Well, done a long drive to Wiltshire & back this weekend, OD was fine on the main roads/motorway doing exactly as its meant to, BUT on local roads with it disengaged & sometimes when disengaging it would not disengage cleanly & I had a few occassions of unwanted slippage & taking to long to disengage which meant loosing road speed too, fluid was topped up on before the long trip, going to get some more fluid & change  it during this week, may also drop the circular filter & clean it with brake cleaner & fresh ATF before refitting it,  if that doesn't stop the unwanted slipping, it'll be removed & stored in garage until I can afford a Roamerdrive unit.

Tried to drive this morning to go to work, virtually no drive at all, crept out of the drive & down the road, OD slipping a lot, only gripped for about 30 secs, so turned around & came back home, very slowly into my drive. Makes 110 undriveable. 

• Sad 1

I would be tempted to replace the broken part in your old one with the necessary bit from the new one Ralph. The one you have has had a lot of other new parts (inc clutch) so will provide spares moving forwards for you too.

About To go out & remove it all & refit the original transfer gear, only early shift this week so need it to go to/ from work, 

My previous OD is in bits in garage & needs gaskets, seals, filter changing if I decide to refit it, haven't got the it's or time to play with it until the weekend

Sorry to see this Ralph....

After new clutch / brake material, springs, filter and spragg clutch it was behaving itself until it ran low on oil. 

As I explained before, we only discovered the oil leak once we made camp that night and it was taken out that evening. It wasn't slipping all the time.. Only on a few occasions but once we discovered the leak it was safest to remove it.... It sat un-touched in the box as you got it for two years....

I believed it to be in good order but didn't have any vehicle to fit it to...

• Like 1

No worries, going to remove the big filter tomorrow if I can get the cap off & give it a good clean, actually looking inside from the bottom plate it looks quite clean, didn't have any big bits fall out when the bottom plate was removed. 

If you're going onside, here's a pic of the brake / clutch material for comparison to new...1816647175_2016-07-0616_21_52.thumb.jpg.08cf52faa3096339e881a53e9de6e7f3.jpg

2028858350_2016-07-0616_22_04.thumb.jpg.0d2df754bf4ea83f03640e411fc8366f.jpg

And the obligatory pic of the new spragg clutch.. :)

420301814_2016-07-3015_10_02.thumb.jpg.634a071f3de4d1624ddcc5efff3d6ac0.jpg

And springs...

662837707_2016-08-2513_37_33.thumb.jpg.2a7d887352873d9ebee9eb0451a7b189.jpg

Might be worth checking the piston that generates the oil pressure? I'm assuming it needs oil pressure to hold the brake / clutch material into the Overdrive position to make drive go through the planetary gears? (Effectively the cone is a brake not a clutch)

Or do as Rich suggests and build one from the best parts of both?

I was only thinking out loud while typing Ralph....

Filters, springs, brake media, spragg clutch "should" all be ok.. So the only thing that came to mind was suitable fluid pressure to force the cone to act as a brake and route the drive torque through the planetary gears.... (If my recollection is right, spragg is only really a reverse safeguard!)

Therefore if filters are clear it could point to potential wear in the pump mechanism?

I dont think the filter will yield anything fruitful here Ralph - I think we tried it in Mo's truck and with a new one and it didnt help at that point. The springs seemed to make a real difference as it is these that hold the clutch in the 'off position'. When pressure from the pump is allowed through by opening the solenoid, the clutch is pulled back into the other cone and drive goes through the unit.

What is that?  It looks like it could be  broken up sealant.  Was it you who has to encase the sensor in epoxy due to a broken plastic casing?  Any of that on the clutch packs or in the solenoid system could cause slipping.

What is the oil pump made of?  Is it a fibrous gear like the LT77/R380?  If so, it could be breaking up, and the reduced oil from a worn pump and blocked filter wouldn't help with the pressure on the clutch packs.