Emoor Trim 3-Piece Mat System - Review

I've done some cursory searching and cannot find anything, so posting here.

I bought EXT00914 - you can find details here but the short version is a 3-peice mat, top layer of rubber with a bottom layer of foam. It's meant to do the job of sound deadening and a mat in one which is why I bought it. There are three things you need to know if you are considering this:

1. It was not cheap

2. It does not come cut to size

3. It flipping STINKS. I left it in my house in the box for a couple of days and the smell lingered for a good while after - I hope it's going to vent off before I put the roof on the car...

One of these facts should mean the other two are not a problem I have to deal with, hence this post. I cannot believe a product that costs £170 doesn't come cut to size. For a start, the main bed area mat is too wide, the wheel arch mats are too long AND need to be cut at an angle to butt up against the wheel arch ends as they come as just plain rectangles. To be fair,  some of the sites that sell it do mention cutting is required, but only for the TD5 fuel filler position! I was glad this was the case as I didn't want to buy one with a slot I don't need, but didn't realise I would be finishing off the basic manufacturing process. From what I read, this is so that the mat can fit 110 and 90 wheel arches but that doesn't excuse it being wrong in the fixed dimensions for all models - the width.

So before I start cutting, does anyone have any experience with these mats? It's the long edges that I now have to cut that really concern me as it's impossible to get a perfect line on a surface that has lumps moulded into it.

Pictures to follow...

Edited by ThreePointFive

Hmm......

".. The load mat for the floor slides in afterwards and can be simply removed for cleaning. You may need to trim the wheel arch sections depending on model and templates are supplied. .." so obviously some cutting was to be expected. Ues, some smell but it does get less with the cabin stuff..

Exmoor Trim sells the WOR systems and I have 3 of them that fit very well..

Flat3.JPG

However, the loadbay stuff seems to require some (serious) cutting it seems but I do not see anything in the fitting instructions.

In the picture some metal strips are used in the corners..

Give ET a call and see what they say.

That'll teach me - the link I supplied isn't the one I bought it from (Rimmers live up to their name on price..) so didn't see that information. I maintain that trimming of the wheel arch sections could be referring to the fuel filler though.

The fact they've put in metal trims shows the problem in my view. Perhaps I am unrealistic in my expectations, but the product should be tailored to each vehicle, not sold for multiple applications. That only benefits the manufacturer, it has nothing to do with giving the customer what they need and it still doesn't explain why the mats are not just shaped incorrectly but also too wide/deep for any of the vehicles they're for.

I am inevitably going to end up with one edge on all three mats that I need to hide.

Like I say, perhaps this is just me and my expectations, no point in whinging about it so I will just post up a how-to when I get a minute.

I took a look at it properly for the first time. I can see exactly where the fault lies.

I've cut the arches to size so it's now fitting reasonably, except there's no edge formed into the mat so it hangs unsatisfactorily over the sides. Cutting the slope of the wheelarch fronts was easier than expected, in fairness.

The problem is the main floor mat isn't cut straight. At all. I could have done a better job taking a run at it with a stanley knife in the dark. This is the one part that is meant to be a fixed size, and it wouldn't fit any vehicle (unless they had wavy wheelarch sides....). See pictures below, pick a line of chequer plate and compare it with the edge!

Top quality from Exmoor Trim, I am honestly surprised as I thought they were better than this.

20191125_200151.thumb.jpg.15a05faa82d3bb051e8dbc0d7e3645c0.jpg20191125_200140.thumb.jpg.cfd5a49d676cdbac9d0288e8b9633a2b.jpg20191125_200207.thumb.jpg.5357c0c7fa76283fb3c5c32787706533.jpg

Edited by ThreePointFive

We have an exmoor rear mat in the company 110. I remember being disappointed with it when we were installing it, primarily because it just wouldn't sit right in the back. After a few years of hauling heavy peli cases around it's moulded to the correct form a bit better but still not what i was expecting from Exmoor. The lack of a clean edge where the mat goes from the top of the wheel well to the vertical face annoyed me a lot and no amount of double sided tape seemed to fix it. 

I have the 5-bar chequer plate effect matting from Wright Off Road in the back of mine, so at least the colour and material is an exact match for the front mats, but that isn’t pre-cut; it comes in 8x4 sheets, so is pretty awkward initially, and won’t bend neatly over corners, but at least it’s easy to cut with a Stanley knife.