Discovery 1 & 2 axle width comparison

Blanco

My RRC is fitted with D1 axles and roll bars, and as purchased has 30mm spacers/pcd reducers,  allowing 5x120 wheels to be fitted, currently got my winter tyre set from my old D2, (I have a set of black 22" going cheap if anyone is interested).

When I get to that point in the build I am considering D2 axles,..... leaving aside for the moment whether you consider that worthwhile or not I was just hunting around for the actual precise difference between the WMS widths so that I could judge wheel options and offsets to stay within the standard wings.   I can find lots of threads and comments that say that they are wider but nothing in the way of measurements......... anyone got the numbers please?

• Like 2

So spurred on by Ross's memory, I have come up with the following hopefully correct figures, noted here as much so that I know where to find them later, and they might be useful to others?

D1 'Track' (ie standard wheel centres on the road)  1486mm

D2 'Track' (widest at the rear by 20mm)                    1560mm

D1 standard offest 33mm so D1 axle width to Wheel mount surface 1552mm

D2 standard offset 57mm so D2 axle width to WMS                             1674mm

Delta D1-D2 actually 122mm!

Standard bodywork width RRC and D1 is 1813mm or 72in so on the face of it any standard D2 wheel and tyre combo seems as if it should just about be OK, (1560 + 235 = 1795) but I know that D2's had plastic arches added, I suppose some models had wider optional wheels and tyres?

Front axle I reckon would be 102mm difference (very close), rear 122mm as above, I found the 'Track'  dimensions widely published and seemingly in agreement, happy to revise it though.

Offsets again widely published for the D1 wheels and D2 wheels, I didn't realise they were different until I started this...... 33 and 57. I have combined the two figures to arrive at a theoretical  value, of course that may well be a bit different from real life.