Does this propshaft separate?

DC_

Hi gang, another job to do was freeing up my front propshaft slider.... (haha I hear you larf) so I was thinking after 4 days of soaking it in penetrating oil. I’d get stuck in this weekend. 

A battered hand and knackered some hours later I’m wondering if this prop actually separates?? 

It moves but the stuff coming out of it looks very bad (rusty) it moves very slightly a bit at a time when I club it with a drift and hammer.

so I’ve ordered a new one from Santa..... but I’d really like to know if it actually separates?

AD82A9A7-2F07-4BC4-9C5F-D1D9B9CEBD95.jpeg

FA93CD83-53C2-4C2D-8A71-D04ABCFA5B35.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

If the polythene coating has broken up, it can be nigh on impossible to separate. 

But they should separate? The plastic coating looked ok... it’s just down in the depths there’s so much rust coming out. It’ll be used for something for sure. But I don’t like it beating me 

They should separate.... easily.

If you've had to spend time doing 'percussive disassembly' it would to me suggest that your shaft has been neglected (as Kenneth Williams would say - Ooooh! Matron!!) .

If there's rusty-stuff coming out I'd be inclined to dump it and fit a new one. I once saw a car where the propshaft had let-go at speed and flailed its way into the passenger-compartment. One rear-seat occupant dead, the other one surviving but with catastrophically-life-changing lower-limb injuries.

Thanks lads, as said above a new hardy spicer one has been ordered. I was just frustrated that the wee swine wouldn't come apart. 

I make sure they get a good dollop of grease every other month, I guess this one just wasn’t getting through enough to disperse any water.  

Lol @Tanuki 😜

Aye Ralph roger that.... pushed grease through the nipple also, (after re=threading it) and the rust coming out was unreal. 

Now I know why I’ve had to do The flanges and seals on the tranny... 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveturnbull said:

I'd be wasting far too much time on getting that apart just because it should...

Do you have 2 appropriately spaced trees (or very sturdy fence posts) and 2 large ratchet straps?

Dave I tried the ratchet strap approach with no joy, I think it’ll be placed on the mantelpiece just to remind me of “that battle” 🤣😂

new one due tomorrow from Mr Claus 

5 minutes ago, DC_ said:

I think it’ll be placed on the mantelpiece just to remind me of “that battle” 🤣😂

Not sure I could cope with that, sitting there, mocking me...

Maybe add some heat into the efforts? Have you got a MAPP torch?

Last resort, when the new one turns up and your Land Rover is operational again, ratchet strap round tree and through one yoke, 2nd ratchet strap through other yoke and onto Land Rover tow bar. Engage low range.

Told you I'd waste far too much time making sure it didn't win.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, daveturnbull said:

Not sure I could cope with that, sitting there, mocking me...

Maybe add some heat into the efforts? Have you got a MAPP torch?

Last resort, when the new one turns up and your Land Rover is operational again, ratchet strap round tree and through one yoke, 2nd ratchet strap through other yoke and onto Land Rover tow bar. Engage low range.

Told you I'd waste far too much time making sure it didn't win.

It's bin-ward bound so I'd just cut the wide shaft a few inches from the end, the sliding section won't be particularly long and then you'll get to see what's stopping it coming apart .... and you'll get to batter it apart before binning it ;) 
I too would destroy it apart just because :) 

• Haha 1