Series 3 genuine indicator stalk review

Gazzar

The indicator stalk in my series 3 was getting a bit tired, so I bought a new genuine one.

eBay, don't you know. 

Lucas, green box. It felt genuine. 

It might well be genuine, but it didn't fit like the original. Nothing major, but annoying.

The wiring was all good, similar colours, correct plugs and sockets, same gauge.

The castings were fine, and the contacts looked sound.

There were two problems:

The bracket wasn't for a series, too small and no clip for the shroud attachment, the set screws were too short. No problem, swap the old one over.

But the biggest problem was the stalk itself, this was massively out of line compared to the old one, and a sod to bend right.

IMG_20191123_103820.jpg

IMG_20191123_103827.jpg

Hmmm 

A while ago I bought a new Lucas column switch for my 90 - the one on it worked but had some play in it compared to my previous 90.

the switch that came is brand new, in the right packaging, and looks fine except that it has more play than the one that’s on there.

Its still in its box years later. Your post makes me wonder .... did quality go down, was there a difference in what they’d sell to LR as opposed to a customer, is there that tolerance in their manufacture, or was it a fake ?

All I know is it was a bit rubbish.

I've just fitted a new Lucas branded one to my 110. The clamp had snapped and I was fed up with the whole thing moving. The shroud fastens to it underneath and everything was wobbly. At least your clamp is metal but it would help if it were the correct size! On mine it is plastic and a tiny bit too tight. It was quite a strain to get it over the column. One of those moments when you wonder if it is being strained a bit too much and with plastic there's no warning before "crack".

It's on and happily it is a big improvement. As well as being clamped properly, the indicator stalk is very positive, not sloppy like the old one.

I had a lot of exposure to parts manufacture in the 1990s and have been in factories where they supplied essentially the same product to multiple car manufacturers. For us they often had to set-up a specific cell or line and the use of Operation Standards and Process Quality was at a different level. So same factory, same  / product, different result.

On 11/25/2019 at 5:13 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

You mean you guys aren't rocking custom-machined billet alloy indicator stalk clamps? :ph34r:

2018-12-15_18-50-14.jpg

No. That's missing the bracket for the cowl screw.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Cowling? I'm not adding weight by adding fripperies like that!

That's sensible. The shroud  holds the fuse box on mine as I'm trying to keep the interior vaguely standard. You have no such limitations.

41 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

That's sensible. The shroud  holds the fuse box on mine as I'm trying to keep the interior vaguely standard. You have no such limitations.

I'll have you know I'm trying to keep my interior standard as possible - but I'm hiding a proper fusebox behind the end of the driver's dash so have very little need for the cowling. Plus they always rattle :glare:

5 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'll have you know I'm trying to keep my interior standard as possible - but I'm hiding a proper fusebox behind the end of the driver's dash so have very little need for the cowling. Plus they always rattle :glare:

Yes, the rattles can be irritating, they really distract from the experience.

That two piece design is a better clamping method than on the 90/110. On these, the single piece of plastic, wraps around from the upper side and is then clamped at the open side. Hence the tendency for them to snap at the other side as soon as they are touched.

10 hours ago, Arjan said:

Could you make me one of those  ?

Well as it turns out all my currently accessible lumps are not the right size to make another :(

I'll keep an eye out should a suitable lump float to the top of the bucket.

Oh and Anderzander - the screws are M5, but thanks for the offer!