Disco facelift headlights

tyetye

As SF says, it wouldn't be very straightforward, there are a few old threads on here on the subject of going the other way which a few did back in the day, readinng those would give you an understanding of what is involved in reverse.

Couple of Ozzy suppliers do kits for round headlights, but I have never seen them over here, and you need to be sure that using them would be legal and safe.

Replacement units in good nick must be readily available now that so many D2's are rusting, simplest solution is to swap them like for like ??

On 11/26/2019 at 10:23 AM, Simon_CSK said:

Did the job recently and can say it was easy and achievable. Need to cut out the old headlight boxes and do some rewiring but it is very straightforward.

Much better lighting too with LED bulbs.

I think the op meant the other way - replace the plastic with glass

2 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I think the op meant the other way - replace the plastic with glass

Oops dyslexia rools ko

The old headlights are next door to useless so I would avoid at all costs. That was the reason I did the conversion.

That said there should be no reason why one cannot reverse the process that I did would mean getting th elight box metal work from and older disco.

6 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

The old headlights are next door to useless so I would avoid at all costs. That was the reason I did the conversion.

That's a bit exagerated statement IMO. I recently changed my 18 years old headlamps with brand new units and fitted Xtreme vision 130% bulbs, my friend with the original 15 years old facelift lamps(with LEDs) was very envious about my light ... he wanted instantly to fit that kind of headlamps but i discouraged him knowing that it's not easy(as in my first reply here) ... IMO the only benefit of facelift lamps is that they look better which for me is not enough especially knowing what happens if you have to change a bulb in the dark under heavy rain or snow on the side of a road... on pre-facelift takes max 3 minutes ... you tell me how fast you can change a bulb in a facelift lamp in bad weather

On 11/27/2019 at 7:17 PM, Simon_CSK said:

Oops dyslexia rools ko

That said there should be no reason why one cannot reverse the process that I did would mean getting th elight box metal work from and older disco.

The preface lift D2 uses the same system as the 200 and 300 D1, so an switch feed live to headlights. So the same thing works as on 200/300 and Pre Td5 Defender. Wire in a relay feed to each headlight so you are running 12v +; then fit modern lamps (Ozram Nightbreaker are good). Do this and you can see where you are going and don't need to fit the later lantern