Rear Brakes dragging

gbmoto

Hi All

Have an odd problem with my 1988 90 drum rear brakes.

Started really dragging in reverse, tbh thought i needed to do a bit of maintenance on the handbrake but no.

Lifted a rear wheel and would happily spin one way but not the other (backwards)

So took drum off and had a look, upper spring went from the pin on the backplate to the pin on the shoe by the adjuster.

Having a close look at the workshop manual that shows the upper springs join the two shoes so changed it around on both back wheels.

Now one of the wheels drags when rotating fowards but is fine in reverse...so reverse of before......ahhhhh.

Also seem to have gained a bit of pedal travel but that's the least of my problems at the mo'

Any ideas??

The upper spring should go from the anchor pin on the backplate to the pin on the leading (front) shoe and be positioned in the groove on the pin behind the adjuster . The lower spring should be enough to hold the trailing shoe against the piston .

It's jamming in reverse because the trailing shoe is moving out on it's own and I suspect that now it's jamming going forwards  because the spring is outside the adjuster .

As Simon suggests , it could be a seized wheel cyl.

I've had problems with new w/cyl's having weak seals (no drag ) and way too strong a spring between the pistons pushing the trailing cyl out causing jamming in reverse.

cheers

Steve b

"Started really dragging in reverse, tbh thought i needed to do a bit of maintenance on the handbrake but no." 

Just for reference, the handbrake lever does not operate on the rear drums but on the transmission handbrake which is the brake drum on the rear of the transfer-box (to which the rear propshaft bolts up to).

Ta for the reply's all, will check the cylinders, not old but you never know.

I thought the springs were correct too, same as series but looking at the WSM made me doubt.

image.png.4a9680e906e67888f1538621a4eb2f3c.png

Ta Litch but yes I do know it has a transmission brake....... a reminder is always handy tho 🙂