Batteries

ianmayco68

Hi all , I’ve been looking for a new battery and came across this one on Tayna batteries ,

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/4x4/c31-1000/  which seems like a good price but I’m at a bit of a loss as to what some of the figures mean . I know cold cranking amps are the amount of power available at start up and the AH is the capacity of the battery but 

what’s the difference between CCA(en) and CCA (sae) ?

and what the difference between capacity (c20) and capacity (c100) ?

any help much appreciated as always cheers Ian

The two CCA figures refer to the Cold Cranking Amps figure measured following different standards - SAE being the American standard, and EN  the European one. Which one you choose to pay attention to doesn't really matter, as long as you use the same one for each battery you compare.

Likewise the Ah figures can be measured at the 20h rate or 100h rate - that is, draw 1/20th of the Ah capacity for 20h, or 1/100th of the capacity for 100h. Because batteries aren't 100% efficient, and get worse at higher currents, the capacity looks a little better measured at 100h rate. You might infer something about the quality of the battery from how close the two number are if you have them both for the same battery, but its never just that simple.

For typical lead-acid starter batteries, once you've met the CCA and Ah specs you've chosen, I'd choose the heaviest one in my price range. Lead is expensive, and heavy, and more of it tends to make a better battery. Again, nothing is ever really that simple, but it's a good guide.

• Like 4

Just for completeness, Yuasa has a decent guide on the meaning of the various battery specs and how they compare here.

For CCA, that's as much detail as I've seen on the measurement procedure without paying the ransom required to obtain copies of the standards.

I replaced the battery in my 90 in winter of 2008/2009 when the one it came with died. I went to the local auto electrics place and bought the biggest and heaviest one that would fit in the battery box. 11 years and 230,000 miles later it’s still going strong, so when it does die I’m going to do the same thing!

Agricultural suppliers or any decent motor factors should have a range of batteries if no auto electricians nearby. 

• Like 1

Cheers James , there’s a tractor place down the road and we have a Halfords which I have a trade card for , never really thought about the tractor place I would imagine they sell really HD batteries and good quality ones as well being as they are for tractors and farmers who really do like value for money  . I’ve been thinking of moving the starter battery into the engine bay , I’m moving the washer bottle as I’ve brought an under the wing jobbie so I have that space , but I’m unsure if it is to close to the turbo? I can make the tray to fit in where the old washer bottle went and utilise the existing brackets .

Edited by ianmayco68

I’d looked at them western as I’d seen you’d used them and said they were good, also I’ve got a trade card which helps , idea was move the washer bottle under the wing as in the td5’s (already got the bottle) , then fit the starter battery in the engine bay and 2 leisure bats under passenger seat with the split charge relay and a fuse box which would mean I can fit the Eberspächer under drivers seat , but I don’t think there is enough room in the engine bay unless I can find a big battery spec in a small footprint which would probably mean spending a fortune . Smallest I’ve found so far is a Odessy pc1750 which was £300 and I’m trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

Cheers all , I’ve come to the conclusion after looking at the specs of many makes of batteries that most are made in the same factory and the only difference is the name and casing as they are all the same physical size with the same capacity and same cranking amps from multiple brands .

Whats peoples thoughts on Exide premium batteries as I can get one 1000ah 900 cca for £70 of Ebay?

Hmmmm. Thanks Ian.

I’m not averse to paying for one - as there seem to be far far more positive reviews of them than not. So I think I will end up down that route.

At the moment I have a SuperBatt, Silver 9000. Which seems good in everything except CCA. If I leave it a few days and we have a hard frost it can struggle to turn over the 200 despite having a supposedly high CCA figure. It also has some credible bad reviews about varied performance below the stated specs.

I’ve read a few reviews of the red tops not being as good as they used to be , and the lower capacity was putting me off but then you read of people travelling the world with them fitted and the specs being okay , Odessy do a smaller one but they’re £300 and you only get a 2yr warranty . 

• Confused 1

I found Banner batteries to have very good reliability, even in that -15 or so cold snap a few years back, and very good longevity at over 10years and counting.  Good brands barely last 3 years here in the Gulf, but I don’t know it that’s because of modern vehicle electronics sapping power, the temperatures, or just battery quality.  Probably “all of the above”...