Series/defender axle 109

40 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

No, quite. Even my 2.25 would plod along at 60. 

60?! Thing can't be "plodding along" must be screaming.. is that a true 60 or what's indicated on that thing that flaps around with a mind of its own? If it's petrol I could understand as more rpm would be available and with less noise. I'm running 45mph at 2700ish rpm which is just about bearable and inline with Ashcroft's ratio calculator so definatly not making this up!

I use GPS to calculate speed which shows me true speed and have a tachometer fitted which I synchronized to the crank with a laser rpm metering thingy. Would assume it's accurate as it corresponds almost perfectly with Ashcrofts calculator.

Edited by youngengineer

Granted it was doing a few revs, but well within the range of a tdi. The little Perkins turbo D I hated so much ran similarly with the same box, though I think by that stage I'd fitted an overdrive. 

How did you get on checking the meshing of the 3.54 diff and pinion once in the series axle case? 

My 88" would do 60mph with a 2.25 petrol - a Tdi would easily achieve it but the problem would be noise. Especially if you don't have much soundproofing.

The Tdi will safely rev up to around 3,500-3,800 RPM in theory but in my experience anything over 2,500 RPM sounds horrendous. The result being that it sounds a lot worse than it is.

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

Granted it was doing a few revs, but well within the range of a tdi. The little Perkins turbo D I hated so much ran similarly with the same box, though I think by that stage I'd fitted an overdrive. 

How did you get on checking the meshing of the 3.54 diff and pinion once in the series axle case? 

I'm afraid ive not had time to check the meshing. I was rushed for time last night as I wasted hours extracting a halfshaft that went in too deep. I figured out after 2 hours that it could be knocked out from the other side with a bit of pvc tubing... I used the existing crush washer and and tightened the nut to 130NM which is the spec I found from Sailsbury. I tightened the bearing carrier/saddle? bolts to 90NM which again was a spec I found online. No idea if its been done right but there arnt any nasty noises. I suppose time will tell. The complete sailsbury axle cost me £20 so I suppose it would not be a big loss if it goes out prematurely although not ideal.

Edited by youngengineer

46 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

My 88" would do 60mph with a 2.25 petrol - a Tdi would easily achieve it but the problem would be noise. Especially if you don't have much soundproofing.

The Tdi will safely rev up to around 3,500-3,800 RPM in theory but in my experience anything over 2,500 RPM sounds horrendous. The result being that it sounds a lot worse than it is.

I agree. 2200 to 2500 sounds ok to me. Anything over 3000 feels horrible. I recently stripped the bulkhead and added around 10-30mm of acoustic foam which has made a huge difference. But it still aint exactly quite.

IMG_20191206_093428.jpg

IMG_20191114_153649.jpg

IMG_20191209_194112.jpg

IMG_20191210_101741.jpg

Edited by youngengineer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Sweet, it looks even cooler dirty:

DirtyLandrover.jpg

https://www.brianmicklethwaitsnewblog.com/2019/05/25/dirty-land-rover-in-soho/

...did you know you can google image search number plates now? :blink: I had a feeling I'd seen the truck somewhere before and happened across this.

Did not know that. I know its become somewhat famous in London now. It was in a rap video in the summer.

Interesting they think it was "Sprayed with mud" Its not the first time i've had people question why mud was not round the wheel arches, then I have to explain about narrow axles and wheels being recessed into body etc. Obviously the mud is thrown up onto the body when hitting large pools of water. 

Im certainly not wasting time throwing buckets of mud onto it!

Edited by youngengineer
  • Like 1

On another note I now have a 110 axle and a series diff. What would provide the best resale value, a 110 axle fitted with series 4.7 diff. Or breaking up the axle selling half shafts, hubs etc. Weighing it in and sell the series diff seperately.?

Any ideas welcome.

Edited by youngengineer

33 minutes ago, youngengineer said:

On another note I now have a 110 axle and a series diff. What would provide the best resale value, a 110 axle fitted with series 4.7 diff. Or breaking up the axle selling half shafts, hubs etc. Weighing it in and sell the series diff seperately.?

Series diff must be worth something, I might even know a guy who'd have it. Not so sure about an old 110 axle

2 hours ago, youngengineer said:

Let me know. I may just weigh in the axles then. Half shaftss worth keeping? They are in great condition.

If they floated past Basingstoke I'd have the whole collection off you... as it stands I probably can't justify fighting my way in & out of London to collect them :unsure:

I think John maybe right and that you may have a 1-ton transfer box - even a tires 2.25 petrol should manage 60mph (without too much noise), so something was amiss.  Likewise, fourth gear is good for low rpm chugging at 30mph, but generally not much else around town, so something odd is going on with your transmission.

Yes, I have a Tdi in my 109, as did most of the guys I mentioned who tried 3.54s and didn’t get on with them.  Overdrive works so much better, though it still leaves top gearing a little lower than ideal.  HRTC sits somewhere between the two, so should be a good compromise for a Tdi or V8, and doesn’t screw up low range like the diff swap does.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

I think John maybe right and that you may have a 1-ton transfer box - even a tires 2.25 petrol should manage 60mph (without too much noise), so something was amiss.  Likewise, fourth gear is good for low rpm chugging at 30mph, but generally not much else around town, so something odd is going on with your transmission.

Yes, I have a Tdi in my 109, as did most of the guys I mentioned who tried 3.54s and didn’t get on with them.  Overdrive works so much better, though it still leaves top gearing a little lower than ideal.  HRTC sits somewhere between the two, so should be a good compromise for a Tdi or V8, and doesn’t screw up low range like the diff swap does.

1-ton box would give me 3900RPM at 50Mph... I'm not even close to 3000 at 50mph. Petrol I would assume would be much more derivable then a diesel at high revs.

Edited by youngengineer

I can’t remember the max rpm for petrols, but it’s not much higher than the diesel - hardly surprising as they are fundamentally the same engines.  The key difference in driving is the noise and smoothness levels, much better in the petrol engines, so they are more comfortable at high rpm than the diesels.

Whatever is going on, with a Tdi and standard transmission, you should be able to do 70mph or more, albeit noisily.  With an overdrive, cruising is comfortable at about 60-65 using a Tdi, but mine does 85+ with the roof rack, lights and snorkel, so yours should do more.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

I can’t remember the max rpm for petrols, but it’s not much higher than the diesel - hardly surprising as they are fundamentally the same engines.  The key difference in driving is the noise and smoothness levels, much better in the petrol engines, so they are more comfortable at high rpm than the diesels.

Whatever is going on, with a Tdi and standard transmission, you should be able to do 70mph or more, albeit noisily.  With an overdrive, cruising is comfortable at about 60-65 using a Tdi, but mine does 85+ with the roof rack, lights and snorkel, so yours should do more.

70mph at redline yes. But who drives around at redline? Again, how are you calculating your speed? My friend would constantly boast about doing 70mph in his series 2A fitted with a 200tdi until he blew it to pieces driving up from leeds to Scotland. Again his speedo would show 70mph but in reality it was not close to real speed.

Edited by youngengineer

21 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If they floated past Basingstoke I'd have the whole collection off you... as it stands I probably can't justify fighting my way in & out of London to collect them :unsure:

Well I could deliver it. I sometimes i make my way to plymouth. I would hate to scrap a perfectly good axle.

I don't suppose you might have a 3.54 diff to fit my front axle? That would be very handy. I believe its a 10 spline.

Edited by youngengineer