Defender Gear shifting Guide in detail for a beginner

I want to know what reads the attachment in detail. what are speed limits in attachment?

When using a defender how to shift to engage "diff lock" as per the attachment kindly explain.

should I depress the clutch with small gear lever as main gear?

When to put small gear lever in Neutral position, at parking the jeep?

Up shift is "L" down shift is "H" How to move to engage diff lock? with clutch or not?

On moving, can the smaller gear be shifted with clutch?

Before shifting smaller lever should main gear be in neutral or in a gear?

Arrow heads numbered 01 & 02 to depict shifting & which one engage diff lock? Kindly advice me. thanks a lot in advance

24473d1267273641-04-cdl-shifter-installation-video-dsc02098.jpg

Edited by Udaya
Arrow heads numbered 01 & 02 to depict shifting included

Looks like a TDCi?

ln the TD5 you can change from high to low range and back while stationary (in neutral or in gear with the clutch pedal down)

When moving and in gear you need to be doing walking speed or slower, press the clutch and shift the lever between high/low as required 

Difflock - you can engage any time as long as you’re on a loose surface and aren’t spinning a wheel. 
Yes to the clutch for shifting between high/low. 
There isn’t really a need for the neutral, certainly no need to leave it parked in that. Unless you want to do it to make a theft more awkward. 
Shifting between low and high is much easier than the other way round, but both are doable, with the clutch, while moving. The gears don’t have synchromesh so will crunch if you get it wrong. 
I’m not sure what you mean with the numbers on your diagram, but you can engage difflock in any of the positions, just not on hard surfaces or with a wheel spinning. 

hope that helps! 

I fear a lot is lost in translation in the original questions... I'll do my best to clarify/ add.

- difflock can be engaged while driving, in a straight line or on lose surface and no wheels spinning. Simply move the small lever (transfer box) to the left in either low (forward position) or high (rear position). No need to use the clutch or change main gears.

- shifting between low and high can be done stationary or while moving slowly. Use clutch and move small lever forward or rearwards. A bit of movement helps to engage the gears, alternatively you can let off the clutch for just a moment while the small lever is in neutral (like double decluctching with an old gearbox). It takes some practice, but you'll soon get the hang of it. I always give the small lever another push after engaging drive again, to make sure the gears engage properly.

- going back from low to high can be done at reasonable speeds, once you're familiar with it. In that case you will need to change down the main gearbox as well, so a bit more complicated (and rarely needed).

- the neutral position of the small lever is rarely used. If you do, make sure the handbrake is on or the car can move even with the gearbox in gear!

Filip

• 1 year later...
On 12/3/2019 at 12:16 AM, landroversforever said:

There isn’t really a need for the neutral, certainly no need to leave it parked in that. Unless you want to do it to make a theft more awkward. 

I’m new here and trying to understand High/Low/Neutral. If I’m driving on the freeway or city roads, would “High” be appropriate? When would neutral be used? 

Thanks 

Transfer box neutral is never used while driving. unless shifting from L to H on the move when moving off with a heavy trailer on the hitch.

for normal tarmac roads or hard surface track High is fine, Low range for off road here more control is required.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:41 PM, conwayl said:

I’m new here and trying to understand High/Low/Neutral. If I’m driving on the freeway or city roads, would “High” be appropriate? When would neutral be used?

Yes, high is for road speeds, low is for off-road / slow manoeuvring (very useful if you're towing a heavy trailer and trying to manoeuvre it).

Neutral is used if you're running a power take off from the gearbox and want to engage drive through the gearbox without driving the wheels.