S3 heater replacement

jessejazza

My heater was completely knackered when I got my landrover and then had a move so I lost/mislaid items and the heater has not surfaced. An artic heater (Williams model) came my way but it seems that the nozzles are too wide to make a mod to fit it between the seats. Done a search and can't see any heaters fitted to an S3.

I would be grateful for the following

a) a pic of the original S3 heater assembly in the engine bay and cab (parts manual does not show how it's installed)

b) alternative heaters that folk have fitted

c) if someone has fitted the military one on an S3 I would be grateful for a pic of the installation.

thanks

Edited by jessejazza

Heaterbox is fitted with 4 bolts against the bulkhead, passenger side.

The heatermatrix can be replaced - likely to be not working too good if "oldisch"

Many mods are around - including fitting 2 matrixes in the heaterbox - and basically your imagination is the limit.

Thanks for your replies. As finance is a problem I have decided to fit the military heater. From what I can deduce now there are panels either side of the central one about 4 ins wide which can be removed but only visible from underneath. The S3 had a double sided seat rail which lightweights presumably did not (presumably the arctic heater was standard for the Commando forces... I don't think the army had them [I was a former solder in 29 Commando Regt yonks ago]). So once a mod is carried out on the side rail the heater will fit - along with the tool box removal as that is where I'll route the pipes. The heater has a super quality core on it - having got one it would be a shame not to fit it. Even if it is a bit bulky and excludes a seat space.

I couldn't see at first how the heater nozzles were supposed to fit without serious modification which I didn't want to do. A 1.5 ins slot on one side of the seat rail is fine. I'll put up pics when done - trouble is it's damn cold outside!

Edited by jessejazza
spelling

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 6:45 PM, jessejazza said:

Thanks for your replies. As finance is a problem I have decided to fit the military heater. From what I can deduce now there are panels either side of the central one about 4 ins wide which can be removed but only visible from underneath. The S3 had a double sided seat rail which lightweights presumably did not (presumably the arctic heater was standard for the Commando forces... I don't think the army had them [I was a former solder in 29 Commando Regt yonks ago]). So once a mod is carried out on the side rail the heater will fit - along with the tool box removal as that is where I'll route the pipes. The heater has a super quality core on it - having got one it would be a shame not to fit it. Even if it is a bit bulky and excludes a seat space.

I couldn't see at first how the heater nozzles were supposed to fit without serious modification which I didn't want to do. A 1.5 ins slot on one side of the seat rail is fine. I'll put up pics when done - trouble is it's damn cold outside!

She is now in place - looks high in the pic but fine when one sits in. Must say it's one hell of a heater... which is why I installed it. It provides a lovely arm rest but a bit hot. I didn't bother with a valve (they stick shut in my experience and a little heat from water going round provides enough heat to clear misty windows); just out of the block , into heater and then on to the front nozzle (near water pump). I have used domestic piping which I will paint one day - works quite well for connecting as the straight connector provides a perfect  fit for 5/8-16mm hose and provides the right angles that one needs to make a reasonable installation. Managed to avoid cutting any of the original panels although had to remove the two next to the seat rails. I will use a panel flange crimp tool on some new steel strips to make a fitting underneath and round the side of the heater nozzles. Look neater than at present once finished but need to use her as everyday transport.

The motor will have to wait until I have sorted out wiring - BUT I am thinking maybe it's not required as it gives out enough heat to the cab just as it is which is what I hoped (just like a large radiator). This summer I am hoping to remove the modified rear tub with wide doors, replace for an original and put on the unused truck cab I have. I got two unused heaters for £50 about 6 yr ago - so I am now tempted to put the other one in my S2 LWB.

Was it worth it? Yes just in case anyone is thinking along the same lines.

IMG_20191221_080507.jpg

IMG_20191207_122110.jpg

IMG_20191207_122131.jpg

IMG_20191210_135800.jpg

IMG_20191210_122716.jpg

IMG_20191217_091406.jpg

5 hours ago, Arjan said:

Interesting - and a good solution.

A cushion / armrest may sort the burnt arm..

Thanks.

I didn't get a pic of what the S3 heater was like so I really only had this option. Domestic 15mm pipe is well worth using - I used some on my Reliant Scimitar where the heater return hose had to go underneath the exhaust manifolds to the back of the water pump. Originally there was a clip for rubber hose but it didn't support the hose adequately - length of copper pipe overcame the problem. Cheap but good solution and easy to make up.

It's not really a burnt arm... just like having one's elbow on a domestic rad. Short distance ok but a 2 hour trip a bit much.

I was just searching for a series 3 heater picture for you, and came upon this upgrade article, on Auto Express of all places

When I rebuilt my 88" series 2 I fitted a series 3 heater box, built some ducting for inside from 40mm waste water pipe, and grafted on a 3 speed Vauxhall Cavalier blower unit. Now I did have a Rover 3.5 V8 supplying the hot water, but that whole combo used to make the interior very warm in very quickly :D

5 hours ago, mickeyw said:

I was just searching for a series 3 heater picture for you, and came upon this upgrade article, on Auto Express of all places

When I rebuilt my 88" series 2 I fitted a series 3 heater box, built some ducting for inside from 40mm waste water pipe, and grafted on a 3 speed Vauxhall Cavalier blower unit. Now I did have a Rover 3.5 V8 supplying the hot water, but that whole combo used to make the interior very warm in very quickly :D

Many thanks. I've found the motor but not the heater matrix and how it was secured. But now I've done what I've done so I'll have to leave it.