Exhaust resonance

dave88sw

Hi,

I recently fitted a double s stainless cat back exhaust system to my 96 v8 discovery. At that point it had the standard downpipes with good cats.

I was quite pleased with it but did notice if I left it idling for a while or if I'd been on the overrun for a little while, when I then accelerated away I'd get a funny parp from the exhaust for a few seconds, like a high pitched buzz. It never really bothered me because it was only very occasional.

The cats later failed and started rattling and as a temporary solution I've put a non cat downpipe on just because I had one kicking about.

Now the resonance is much worse, any engine braking results in lots of loud buzzing when I get back on the throttle and it's quite loud.

A bit of reading on the internet suggests stainless exhausts are particularly prone to resonating but what can I do to stop it? I dont want to lose the stainless system as it was quite expensive. I've seen resonated exhaust tips suggested but have no experience of them, would they be worth a go?

Thanks

Dave