Front radius arms - how to get them back on

Hello,

I've taken off and checked the front radius arm as it seemed to have play, with a view to get the bushed changed. Garaged checked and said all ok on that one.

How to do I get the dam thing back on? I'm on a flat road, with a jack and axel stands. I can't seem to get the technique right to have it moved up and lined up. Any help or links to guides would be very good. Where do I need to jack it up, and place axel stands? Currently have the offside / passenger side one off.

Thanks in advanced.

Hi Bowie,

Thanks for the reply. Where would the straps be used? I've only taken one off for this reason ; )

I've got some Molykote 111, which helped. I've got the chassis end in, just struggling with the front end with the two bolts. When I lift it up, it just does not seem to go up and into place.

I've had the jack under the chassis end of the chassis, near to where the radius arm is screwed in.

What am I missing?

Thanks

With the chassis end in (and maybe a nut to hold it captive) you can jack up the axle end of the radius arm. You may need a little lever bar to get the tube of the bush located. You should be able to get one bolt in and then it'll be a question of rocking or rotating the axle to get the second bolt located. As Bowie has said some ratchet straps could be useful along with lever bars and the pointy lever bars too!

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the replies. I'll get a podger from Screwfix / toolstation and have a go. I'm still a bit confused about how to use the ratchet straps, are these to keep the arm up in the air while I fiddle trying to line the first bolt hole up?🤔

It's one of those jobs that looked simple, but turned out so far to be hard work; well at least so far for me!

the straps are to pull the axle forward or back if nothing lines up when putting the first bolt in . Once the first is in it's usually a case of raising or lowering the axle with a jack until the second hole lines up . A 3/8" socket extension will work as a podger once things are nearly in line.

cheers

Steve b

The simplest way I've found is to take one of the old bolts, cut it to roughly 1/2 or 2/3rds of it's original length and then sharpen the end to a point on the lathe or with a grinder. You should then be able to use this to align the bushes (whacking it in from the opposite side to the way the bolt will go in), then you can insert the bolt from the other side and knock the podger out.

• Thanks 1

Hello all,

Thank you for the replies. Managed to get it sorted. Used one jack near where the single bolt end goes into the axel, and tightened the nut on the bolt to get it to the right position.

Then another car jack to raise the two bolt end up in to place

A crow bar - (all I had) to push the metal middle bar in past the metal bracket.

Just need to torque them up now.

Next job, leaking fuel cooler gasket replacement :)