Washer jets

Driving the two vehicles (2015 Puma and 2006 Tdi) the other day in the rain, I realised how much the performance of the old one's washer system has deteriorated (unless the Puma has an upgraded pump - but it's miles better at covering the screen).

I don't want to spend a million quid on an Optimill system but what options are out there that are worthwhile and sensibly priced? I have wondered about simply drilling the jets out slightly to get better water flow (I think they are probably scaled up a bit inside - either that or the original washer pump is getting tired).

Thoughts please? Has anybody tried running a very small drill through the existing jets?

I fitted 2 front screen washer jets to the unused holes on bulkhead & covered the original location hole, the standard pump delivers plenty of screen wash, maybe your pump & tubes need a clean out or replacing. 

other option is Nige's washer jets on the wiper arms.

What about disconnecting the pipe from the pump first to see if you can get an indication of the pressure and flow rate it's putting out first?

If that seems reasonable then it might be your pipes need cleaning out - maybe an airline up them might help blow stuff out (might want to do backwards).

I've been contemplating adapting headlight washer pumps for mine, not got around to it yet though.

I've got discovery 1 headlight washer pump and jets fitted to the ibex (and the tomcat before that). The pump fits one of the under wing type tanks (might be a military one though) it's plumbed with something like 8mm ID hose. There's a non return valve at the split (also discovery 1 item). I then cut the jets down the fit on the bonnet.

20170411_193341.thumb.jpg.c99eb8768feb2cd728a5ea2eb498b3c1.jpg20170412_183042.jpg.33860daf8fcce4643bb75a3ccd463060.jpg

they are quite powerful but the tank does empty quickly if your not careful.

Mike

• Like 1

also have a look on the routing of the washer tube , it may get caught behind the dash (at least on a LHD vehicle it make's a rather funny bend around som parts of the dash-structure) , downside is you have to remove the top dash panel to get acces.

6 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

What about disconnecting the pipe from the pump first to see if you can get an indication of the pressure and flow rate it's putting out first?

If that seems reasonable then it might be your pipes need cleaning out - maybe an airline up them might help blow stuff out (might want to do backwards).

I've been contemplating adapting headlight washer pumps for mine, not got around to it yet though.

:rofl:

Yes ... doing it to the inside could be messy...

I have thought for some time that a Discovery headlight washer pump would be awesome as a screen wash pump, but not looked at the feasibility of it.