What have you found in your sump?

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

Strings of silicone in mine, orange or white, choice of either ๐Ÿ˜‚

Mo

I found long strings of silicon in the water jackets behind the frost plugs. It was blue, if I recall.

1 hour ago, Eightpot said:

Found a missing part of a carburettor which took itself on a nice but noisy trip through an intake valve and no1 piston before having a swim in the sump.ย 

I opened an engine up once, and found similar, except it was one of the butterfly screws embedded in the top of no4 piston.

ย 

ย 

Oh, just remembered.. Wasn't a land rover but was a diesel cement mixer I got running again. Trapped in the sludge was a load of dead insects kind of mummified in the oil. A ladybird was particularly well preserved!ย 

3 hours ago, Green200tdi said:

No thatโ€™s usually everywhere but in the sump ๐Ÿ˜‚

It was everywhere outside too! The engine came from a disco that had been off roaded to destruction. The guy I bought it off said it was the heaviest thing he's ever had on a trailer, reckoned there was a ton or two of mud caked under the body - it was just packed in solid around anything that didn't move.ย