what effect would running an 800 watt device on a 12 volt system?

bushwhacker

My main concern is a few years down the line - cheap seals can shrink & perish for example. In my case, I've got a Webasto as a night heater in the ambulance and I really don't want to be killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in my sleep.

As a "day" heater for use defrosting/driving around I'd be more relaxed about a chinese one, especially in a Defender where it's too draughty to keep carbon monoxide in for very long :lol:

...but that said, if it's the choice between a used German one or a new Chinese one for similar money I'm still voting German!

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, Eightpot said:

seat heaters in which are a game changer and make more difference than slightly warmer air from the vents which is always fighting the draughts - only take a couple of minutes to get toasty. They make two types, one a simple zig zag wire element, the other is carbon fibre mesh - have tried both types,  wire element are good, carbon mesh are amazing - not expensive either.  

I have no heating in my land rover, but if I use it in winter, I have a seat heater, it is basically a heated seat cover that you plug in to the cigarette lighter plug. I bought it in Czech republic for a fiver I seem to remember. It is amazing, have to unplug it 10 min into the journey as I get too hot. I have little hot air window demister on the dash to make sure I can see through the window, also on a cigarette plug. Great setup, -10 has been no problem.

I would start with covering the grille if the engine does not heat up, as apart from you being cold, there is the engine itself to worry about as well.

Either way, don't overthink it!

Daan

6 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

My main concern is a few years down the line - cheap seals can shrink & perish for example. In my case, I've got a Webasto as a night heater in the ambulance and I really don't want to be killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in my sleep.

As a "day" heater for use defrosting/driving around I'd be more relaxed about a chinese one, especially in a Defender where it's too draughty to keep carbon monoxide in for very long :lol:

...but that said, if it's the choice between a used German one or a new Chinese one for similar money I'm still voting German!

A CO monitor is cheap.

• Like 1

I think the consensus emerging on the topic of the Chinese heaters is that the units themselves are safe. They are well engineered, as they are a copy of a decent device.

The accessories are variable in quality.

I'm tempted. I must admit. Not just the cost, but the hassle of finding a second hand genuine unit that works without canbus would really get to me.

It's been a long time since I went to a scrappy, I must be getting lazy.

A half way perhaps?

When I ordered my Amarok there were 2 options, one was a £400 electric water heater which heats the engine water whenever it drops below a certain temperature, the other was a £1400 diesel heater. I didn't pick either as I'm tight, my friend has the £400 version and I so regret it after comparing his to mine!

Edited by Cynic-al

I have a kenlowe hotstart. It's the 88degree unit.

It's plumbed into the heater return hose as per the instructions

The mains lead goes into a pull release socket on the front of the Discovery and it's plugged into a timer and thermostatic switch. If the temperature drops below 5 degrees it switches it on, then the timer comes on at 0650...

If I forget to unplug it - it releases itself.

To be fair, my disco is warm in a couple of miles or ten minutes fast tick-over on the drive, but this makes  ti much easier to de-mist quickly and also warms the engine block

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Interesting approach - buy cheap junk, use the the money saved to buy an alarm or two to tell me I'm about to suffocate or burn to death... :lol:

You are MUCH more likely to get CO from the engine of a Defender.

As far as "cheap Chinese junk".  Everyone around here and their dog has these low cost heaters and nobody is having issues.  They seem just as reliable as the expensive German junk.

Edited by Red90

44 minutes ago, Red90 said:

You are MUCH more likely to get CO from the engine of a Defender.

As far as "cheap Chinese junk".  Everyone around here and their dog has these low cost heaters and nobody is having issues.  They seem just as reliable as the expensive German junk.

Not getting much CO off the engine while I'm sleeping in the back :SVAgoaway:

Also, I realise plenty of people are happy with their chinese heaters but my point is that I've paid the same or less money for a German unit than these new ones cost and that's my strong preference in that situation.

Long-term reliability, servicability, parts availability etc. is very much yet to be proved with the knock-offs.

• Like 2

The 300w 12volt small heater is no more than a hand warmer and you would need one in each hand.

Just another thought could I use an inverter to run a small blow heater while driving until the 110 engine gets heat in to it about 10 to 15 mile, no viscous fan running. It's not for me but for others who will be passengers. Honest.😬

Has anyone come across a 12 volt vehicle heater that actually gives out heat to a noticeable affect?

I have seen a couple of ideas to patch a ptc heater out another car in but posts have stopped would the amps draw be to much again? I would like something handy to use and remove when not needed. Am I pissing in to the wind. Can't do the diesel heater right now toooo near the hols for that sort of a punt.

Good luck and kind wishes to everyone.

You can'ne break the laws of physics. No matter which type of electric heater or way you try driving it, you simply can't get enough amps out of a 12V electrical system to get the wattage required for worthwhile output. No ifs, buts, or maybes.

Heated seats? 

In our Romahome camper we have an Eberspacher combined water and blown air heater.  The "furnace" is mounted outside under the floor and it heats water which then flows into a calorifier for the water and through a radiator where a fan blows air through and into the habitation part of the camper.  When we bought our camper it was already fitted, it would not have been on our list of extras but having used it in winter for many years I have to say that it is brilliant.  It has the facility to make a connection to the engine to warm that up before starting but we havent bothered with that.

Having experienced it were I to order another new camper (those days are long gone now) I would certainly include this type of heater.

Peter

Eberspacher heaters are amazing having had them on lorries and boats but a big spend for the few minutes before the engine gets warm. A plug in mains heater is about as cheap as you can go for morning warmth if you park near a supply. My Isuzu engine used to go cold in winter if you were sat in slow or standing traffic. No fault with the thermostat, it was like it from new and in normal driving the needle sat bang in the middle regardless of weather. The needle would drop right to the bottom and the heater would blow cold. In a cold winter I could drive the 6 miles to work and the needle would maybe get to a quarter. Always had a coat in the back! 

I don't use heated seats myself, apart from once in a car which wasn't mine where I couldn't work out how to turn them off, did a 4 hour drive then put my back out getting out the car, weeks of agony :unsure: I do like having them for passengers though, pop it on when they're not looking and wait for that split second moment where they think they've wet themselves. :hysterical:

Have you thought about improving insulation in the land rover, it would help it get warmer quicker?

Thanks to all for the replies to another daft question. I have learnt a lesson about what is not possible with a 12 volt system. I had to ask as other info on the internet was not conclusive.  I will keep eye on write ups on the Chinese heaters and definitely get something sorted for next winter.

Regards Mark.

20171010_111345.jpg

Clean out the system, check thermostat and see what happens..

We have a somewhat different heating system in the 110 and it does the job very well - oven hot - and is producing warmth within 10 mins of starting from cold.

However, we do have an engine pre-heater we use if it gets really, really cold and for overnnight sleeping a webasto heater.

I'd suggest you get a engine heater to help the engine for the short journeys and getting some heat.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:46 PM, Tanuki said:

For "early-morning starts" in my 90TD5 for the last couple of decades I've used a 3Kw mains-powered fan-heater sat in the passenger footwell.

The door-seals in a Defender are slack-enough to accomodate the cable; I've got a timeswitch set to activate the heater an hour before my expected need-to-drive time.

It's neat to always be able to get into an ice-free car which is nice-and-toasty inside. Just remember to unplug before driving away!

This is what I tend to do on icy mornings with the LR or the car. Usually the time it takes to eat breakie and make my lunch is enough.

Yes the heat disappears pretty quickly, but at least the steering wheel  has lost its desire to stick to my fingers, I haven't had to scrape the screen, the seats are  nice and warm and the screen isn't about to mist up as soon as I get in.

Simple solutions :D