Recommendations please

bishbosh

My multimeter just fried itself, well, that's probably not strictly true, I may have had something to do with it :unsure:

Any recommendations on a replacement? Not looking to spend lots of money, but don't want a piece of tat either....

TIA.

My multimeter just fried itself, well, that's probably not strictly true, I may have had something to do with it :unsure:

Any recommendations on a replacement? Not looking to spend lots of money, but don't want a piece of tat either....

TIA.

Fluke if you want a really good one, but not cheap, or Machinemart sell a quite reasonable one, about twenty quid if my memory serves me right.

I like the Iso-tech ones that RS stock.

Had mine for donkeys years and its ultra reliable, and the batteries last forever. Plus you can buy new probes for it and other accessories easily.

In my expereience the probes die too easily on the cheapo ones.

Jon

I bought a "Precision Gold M285" years and years ago from Maplin. Been superb. It came with a thermocouple for measuring temperature which I find very useful.

I also have an AVO Multiminor which Dad bought me when I passed my 11 Plus (decades ago) and an AVO Model 8 for sentimental reasons.

Try and get one with 4mm probe sockets, you can then buy the plugs and make your own test leads. RS &c sell ultra flexible wire which is good for test leads.

Putting it on a battery with the range set to 10A usually does the trick (says the voice of experience :ph34r:)

One of mine now has two decimal points on the display after such an incident but still works otherwise :)

I've got a Fluke 79 - which is first class! Now 15 years old and going strong.

Fluke do significantly cheaper ones and I know someone who bought a Fluke 79 for £30 on a certain auction site.

I have a crappy £10 meter that lives in the car - but for the number of times it's failed to work when needed and been replaced, it would have been cheaper to buy a used Fluke!

If you can possibly stretch to it - I would recommend one totally!

Several here under £30

Out of the current under £30 lot - I'd be watching this one.

Si

I use a cheapo pocket digital one (Silverline), fine for garage / rough use and an auto-ranging one with the analogue style meter (Precision Gold WG 022).

Been doing some air temp and coolant temp sensor calibration (for megasquirt) recently, the auto-ranging was a lot nicer / simpler to use :)

Avo what a georgous peice of equipment, got to love the clicky rotary switches...................

And the weight of 2 house bricks :huh:

Oops back on topic, Fluke always, unless you expect to lose it or drown it.

10 penneth.

Another vote for Fluke and Isotech, have had/got both brands and never given any major problems despite some serious abuse although the continuity buzzer on one Isotech decided to work all the time after the meter became accidently submerged. the rest of the meter still worked it just beeped all the time when switched on for about three months afterwards.

I also like the old AVO8 (haven't got one though) not very easy to use on anything but a bench though.

Pete

I use a Draper one for all sorts at work, and an old Cirkit one I bought when I was still at school is used in the garage at home, both work fine.

I figure if I buy an expensive one I'll only reverse over it or something so I don't bother. Bit like watches really - keep it under £30 and it'll last for ever, buy one the wrong side of £100 and you'll rip it off on the first sticky out door handle :)

Hi,

Had my Fluke 77 for over 10yrs, on it's second set of probes but there ultra reliable and very good quality. Worth getting the rubber case if you get one of them, supposed to be good for dropping from the top of a telegraph pole.

Iso-Tech, Robin, are also a good buy too.

If you want to use for home electrics as well, I issue all my electrical engineers with Fluke T5-600 AC/DC tongue testers. Autorange up to 600V AC & DC, 100A AC as well as resistance to 1Kohm and cont buzzer, £74 from RS, pt 291-9372

Cheers,

Andy

Fluke for me please, got a Fluke 179 at the moment for work (I'm an autoelectrician, so it's always on) and an old Fluke 73 in the kitchen drawer at home. Had a Fluke 77 series III until some toerag ripped off my Disco when I parked it up for half an hour one evening with some gear in it.

I just think they are almost bullet proof.

But just the same if you only use one occasionally then there are lots of reasonable choices, I think I would go for Iso-Tech.

Go for autoranging and keep away from the really cheap stuff.

Regarding leads, I keep the silicon cable and if I need special leads for something I just stop for 5 minutes and make some. I've got a pair that stretch the length of a vehicle, it makes life easy when you want to take a measurement at the back and the switch is at the front (in tank fuel pumps for instance).

Regards Shaun

Putting it on a battery with the range set to 10A usually does the trick (says the voice of experience :ph34r:)

I tried something like this with my Fluke (£5 from a car-boot! ) and the big fat (probably expensive) fuse inside went POP... No further damage :) Had it years, and since I only use is infrequently; it's still on the same battery! (It does take a little while to get working on a cold morning though... a bit like me :lol: )

Rog

My school one is a fluke, can't fault it. It is decreed that we have to use fused leads on it in case we touch something we shouldn't, and the metal contact nib must be between 2-4mm so we don't accidentally short them out.

;) I bought a multimeter and a mains tester, I need it for flu tubes on buses, for £8.92 from Maplins. It seems to do all I need and dosnt look too fancy so it will lesen the chance of it going walk about at work.