Recommendations please

bishbosh

Probes look cheap'n'nasty and 400mA is not a great current measurement limit for vehicles, looks similar(!) to this one:

Maplins version

Similar money alternatives from Maplins are:

Higher current measurements & a backlight

No backlight but comes with temperature measurement

• 4 years later...

Another vote for Fluke. I end up hating most every other brand I use, though some of the IsoTech ones I've used are ok.

Can't stand meters that update too slowly, or ones that tell lies when the signal gets a bit noisy.

Some of the Fluke range have some useful features worth considering:-

Min/Max - record miniumum and maximum readings rather than the more common max hold only.

Touch hold - takes a reading, beeps and holds it until cleared. Handy when you're head down in the engine bay, and can't see the display.

Continuity capture - records open or short circuits as brief as 250 micro seconds - handy for hunting those elusive wiring fault.

I've seen the first two on other brands, but not the third one.

Oh, and never lend your Fluke to Jules if he's having ignition problems - not that I'm one to hold a grudge for years and years :ph34r:

Another vote for flukes here mine survived a 15 foot fall onto to gravel without damage. The only downsides with fluke is the price and the fact they are really sensitive. At work we we take the reading off how much earth leakage there is on a cable we have to attach a 150k ohm shun atcoss the terminals.

apart from that they are awesome and waterproof to a degree . . .

I bought a Snap-on one ,paid about£ 180 for it , Its over complicated ,always eating batteries so I went out and bought a Durite one for about £25 , Its superb much easier to use and havent changed the battery for 2 years .the durite one is good but if you use it daily the battery will need changing regularly else they tell lies,ask me how i know :unsure:

AVO 8 if you want to go "Old School"

Loads on ebay as spares and repair, they never break, whack new batteries in and away.

Also enforce polarity discipline when using!

Fluke's are brilliant, if you can get a cheap one.

Fused leads for all, then no problems with blowing fuses in the device.