Defender 300TDi dash bulb holders

Here's a quick question about the green filters that are fitted to the lamp holders in the speedo (x2), fuel and water temperature gauge.

I have previously changed these to leds and expected a brighter result than I achieved. I blame the green inserts! Now I have an even better set of leds that shine forwards and sideways. However the green filters are stopping them inserting fully.

I don't have a pic but they are found at the bottom of white tubes (bulb holders) which unscrew from the metal cases - except that I don't want to unscrew completely as something might fall off the front end into the interior.

So can I get the green things out? I can't seem to find any definitive answer with a search.

Ah ok guys thanks. think that the green and the white screw together now I’ve had a closer look. So that would mean a loose bulb holder with the green removed I think  

17631001-F822-41FB-820B-886B879EAEA4.jpeg.4bd861b4c07c118a27115707460b82c2.jpeg

Edited by Peaklander
Added pic

Yes, if you break out the green domes entirely, the white tubes that hold the bulb holders will be loose as they screw onto the domes. Either drill a hole through the dome, but with the speedo face facing up, so the swarf falls out. Or, break out the domes, do away with the tubes and use a grommet in the hole in the back of the speedo to hold the lamp holder in place.

• Like 1

They are fitted and are an improvement again on the globe type leds that have been in for a few years. There’s a lot of light leaking backward though so definitely not in far enough.

I think I’ll drive it a bit and monitor. At least I can see the dials properly now. It’s so long ago since I removed the filament bulbs that I’ve forgot how bad they probably were.  

Yep good idea @western. That's easy as the binnacle isn't screwed in yet. This was first power-on since upgrading the alternator and cable back to starter. Plus I added some big spots on an A bar and added a tell-tale lamp and relay for them with their own fuses.

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by Peaklander
  • Like 1