A Frame Bracket Differences

I've just removed the A frame ball joint on my 97 130 to replace with a Gwyn Lewis ball joint ready pressed into the bracket.

The issue I have is that the existing bracket/bolts have 24mm heads with corresponding shanks and the replacement bolts are 19mm head with smaller shank.

Hence, the existing bolts are too big to go through the bracket and/or the new bolts are too small for the existing A frame arms.

I cant find any alternative ball joint brackets listed....

Can anyone help?

There are Imperial & Metric variants.of the A frame ball joint housing/bracket to axle

Imperial LR part NRC3923

Metric LR part ANR3037

the 3rd variant is for the 110 Boge strut fitted station wagons, this has the cup for the Boge strut lower ball joint.

the only listed bolts are LR Part 253952 1/2 UNF x 6.5 inches long. as far as I can find out.

I bought a Britpart A frame ball joint kit IIRC came with the long bolts, kit part number is DA1129

https://www.britpart.com/all-parts/da1129

Fitting kit

https://www.britpart.com/parts/suspension-and-axle/axle/fulcrum-brackets/da1129kit

Thanks for the reply. I've been through the parts catalogue and can only find 2 versions listed for the bracket but all the bolts are the same.

I'm going to take it off again tomorrow to properly assess whats going on.

I wonder if somebody (ex military) has removed the metal bushes in the arms and drilled the bracket out.

Sorry, when i say 'bush', what I really mean is there appears to be some metal tubes pressed into the arm. I wonder if these have been removed. I will check tomorrow.

The bolts supplied with Gwyns ball joint are correct to the parts he supplied.

Arm.png

http://cat.lrparts.ru/?category=53485

click on items 1 & 2 for the arm part numbers & 17 for the bolts which comes up with the same number as the bolts I posted above.

wonder if your arms have been misslabelled

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/88750/399/a_frame_upper_link_right_hand___defender___discovery_1___range_rover_sport

I wasn't clear, the picture I originally posted was from an ebay advert.

The ones from euro4x4parts still look to have the smaller hole but i'll check tomorrow and probably give Gwyn a call as he's always been really helpful.

I'm at least 80% convinced there is something dodgy about mine. The fact there is only 1 bolt part number really does suggest mine have been opened up in some way. No idea why?

I'll post back when i've got a solution.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

My existing ball joint has 16mm holes, the new one has 13mm holes.

Just spoken with Gwyn, he thinks someone has drilled my ball joint and arms and I have 2 choices.

1. Drill the new ball joint to 16mm (all other dimensions are identical)

2. Replace the A frame arms with standard ones. It’s a 130 at 3500kgs so I’m wondering if the smaller bolts would be acceptable???

8F9D679E-32F9-41C1-9C06-4EDD6D55E873.jpeg

I did ask Gwyn about that option (hoping to use the wide angle greaseable joint) but he said he’s had feedback that people struggle to remove or fit his joints without damaging them. 

I am favouring returning it to standard LR by getting replacement arms but I could do with some reassurance the standard 1/2” bolts would be ok?

I’ve sanded the arms to find the part numbers, HRC1705/6 so the arms and ball joint have definitely been drilled out.

I’m the first owner post military use. Why would the military drill these out? Did they have some fail? The 1/2” bolts looks reasonably substantial for their required use 

Thanks for all your comments. I am 99% sure i’ll replace the arms now with standard ones. 

Having scraped the paint from my 130 and rust from my 90, I can confirm they both have the HRC1705/6 arms so no difference between 90/130.

It looks like this part number is long gone now though and been replaced with NTC2706/7. Can anyone confirm that?

13 minutes ago, oneandtwo said:

I would get a pair from a rotten discovery1. You can’t give those arms away normally!

There’s plenty available that’s for sure! It’s just most are advertised as the later part number and I just want to make sure they’re compatible.

The HRC numbers aren't part numbers, just casting numbers, and can be used for more than one part number with different machining operations. 

I've never heard of a a-frame failure at that point so I would suggest the half inch bolts are more than adequate. 

• Like 2

Changing the arms for the normal standard items & using the new joint bracket & the 1/2 diameter bolts will be fine. I don't know why your existing arms were drilled out to 16mm, maybe that was the only bolts in stock & the vehicle section had to return it to duty as soon as possible. 

Thanks for all the replies. It’s been very helpful.

I’ve ordered a couple of used arms and I’m going to go with the standard parts. If the ball joint ever needs replacing again, especially if I’m away from home then having standard parts will just be much easier.

I’m still on the hunt for the clonking noise through!!!