Defender binding issue

Hello all!

I was driving the defender today and it felt a bit slow, like it was being held back. I could smell,what i would describe as a metal burning smell, but not very much, just a whiff. That kinda whiff when your like, is that something? or have i driven by a nasty fire in some field.

I was slowing up to junctions and taking her out of gear to idle at the junction when it felt like the landy was shaking. Bit like if i were in gear and not putting the clutch in at a slow speed for the gear. It didnt stall it just felt a bit shakey. 

I pulled over when i could see a lay by and got out and checked around. Couldnt see anything but again that whiff was ever so slightly there but it was bloody windy so not much help.

I went to pull off and it was like the hand brake was on but it wasnt.

I tried going forwards, backwards but it was stuck, engine running no problem but she werent moving, i left the hand brake off ans turned off the engine and called for a pickup from the mrs. Then tried once more and she moved. And i got home.

What could be the issue here?

M  

1 minute ago, steve b said:

Definitely handbrake related , either a sticky HB cable (check your main earths) , sticky expander or TB oil on the shoes - this last one will cause drag on tightly adjusted shoes and cause shake when freewheeling to a stop .

cheers

Steve b

I do have an oil leak around the transfer box so maybe its that.

Thanks Steve appreciate your help!