STARTER MOTOR BRUSHES TO COLLECT IN BIRMINGHAM AT SHORT NOTICE?

neilc

Im taking the Landy (series 3 , lucas starter , poss the original one) away for the new year  , I removed the starter , serviced it and replaced it about 3 weeks ago , all went well until it wouldnt start , I thought the solder had come off the post so removed it and opened it up , the wire with one of the brushes on has literally snapped , I think i applied to much heat when initially soldering the joint to the pole so I know what the issue is . it became very brittle , .The issue I have now is that I need new brushes in the next few days , I only actually need one of the pair , the one that doesnt have a bolt attached , Does anyone know anywhere in Birmingham that I can just walk into and get them over the counter , or does anyone on the forum have a set they want to sell. Theres obviously loads on ebay but they are all for delivery on 5-7 Jan.  Thank , ive tried Paddocks they havent got any! Any help would be appreciated.

Anywhere that sells washing machine/domestic appliance spares will stock brushes. They won't have anything for a landy starter, but will have something you can knock down to size with abrasive paper on a flat surface, if nothing that's a direct fit. I've done this many times when in a similar jam! 

Thanks , I have managed to remove the brushes from the existing wire and also have some thick auto wire , I was hoping to cut 2 inch of wire and solder the brushes on each end (remember the brushes are only 3 weeks old and ive only started it twice since replacing!),  However I spent a good 2 hrs yesterday trying to get the wires to solder into the brush holes , they werent taking so well , any tips? , I thought that I might push the wires into the  holes and use a small amount of that metal putty that you blend to plug the wires into the holes , I might have another go tonight , however soldering brushes on the kitchen worktop doesnt go down too well when your family are decorating the tree and watching Christmas films. 

It Didnt work ! , The brushes kept detaching ,  I've ordered some new brushes so it will be easy enough , I think I will drill a small hole in the post and put a small screw through the brush wire and through the post as I'm finding it very difficult to solder the wire to the post , it's just not sticking and I've done plenty of soldering in the past 

You've not got enough heat. Needs quite an iron to get those posts and thick copper braid hot enough. The soldering iron attachments for small butane torches are superb here. You can get complete kits in most DIY places for about £20

On 12/23/2019 at 9:19 AM, lo-fi said:

You've not got enough heat. Needs quite an iron to get those posts and thick copper braid hot enough. The soldering iron attachments for small butane torches are superb here. You can get complete kits in most DIY places for about £20

Any chance of a link, I've not seen these, and they sound great!