Alternator high output options?

Gazzar

I'm looking for a good quality going output alternator for a (almost - 2.5 petrol in a lightweight) series 3 petrol.  

Autosparks are charging a lot for a high output version of the Lucas, are there better value options?

A cheapie costs about £80 or so but, no.

For a cheap alternator I'd be thinking something second hand from a scrappie. I think I paid about £30 for the 150A model I took off a Mondeo. The issue here is that you'll need to use a polyvee belt to drive anything bigger than 100A, and that would be a pain on your engine. How big are you hoping for?

A 200 Tdi alternator is probably around 65A and a similar mounting to what your engine is used to. ISTR that my old 2.25P had a Lucas unit that offered a meagre 34A.
If you can find one from a 200 Tdi Disco 1 that's being scrapped that might work...

The old Lucas 15/16/17/18ACR types are rather obsolete; not sure what you're looking at but a Lucas A133/80 will do 80 Amps (standard fit on the V8 EFI Rangies).

I always preferred the Bosch "K1"  series which are mechanical equivalents to the Lucas - a K1-80A will give you 80 Amps reliably.

Remember that you'll  need to fit a decently-thick cable from the alternator-output terminal direct to the battery +ve terminal in order to avoid any voltage-drops.

The loom will be beefed up to suit, don't fear.

Will the K1 fit the series engine? 

There is an advantage to keeping it standard, parts available and all that, but, I'm willing to consider other units.

I don't know if the Bosch K1 will fit a Series engine using the standard alternator-brackets, but it will fit in-place of an 18ACR; one of the mountings on these alternators includes a sliding-spacer-tube to accomodate different sized mounting-pedestals.

You may need to add a few washers as spacers.

The plan is: heated seats, mirrors, and screens.

I spent too much time in the cold when I was younger, I've no desire to be cold ever again.

Then there is the fridge, the auxiliary battery, quite possibly a winch, H4 main beams, and so forth.

So, yes, high output would be a good upgrade.

But low hassle, which is why the ACR is appealing.  Drop in fit.

What were the Bosch alternators fitted to?

It will be eBay, as I'm quite time poor these days, so the scrapie is out.

The Bosch alternators were fitted to loads of Vauxhalls and Fords in the 80s 90s and 2000s; though in some cases you'll find they came fitted with a dual-belt pulley because two belts were  needed to provide enough drive to also handle PAS-pumps and air-conditioning compressors.