Range Rover classic power steering?

lol

Wasn't there a run-out "poverty-spec" version of the RRC? I remember something 25 years or so back about Virgin Airlines buying a bunch of cheap RRCs to use for chauffeuring "Upper Class" passengers to airports - from what I remember these were end-of-production-run RRCs that Virgin probably got as a 'close-out special' and could well have been de-contented as a result.

On 12/27/2019 at 5:06 PM, Tanuki said:

Wasn't there a run-out "poverty-spec" version of the RRC?

I looked at what was probably one of those when I bought my first range rover - late reg, but not soft dash and basic spec, solid paint colour (a very nice mid blue). It was advertised as a vogue by someone who was definitely not a dealer, honest guv... but it definitely wasn't, and wasn't badged as such.

Didn't test drive it, partly due to the spec but mainly because the autobox oil was below the dip stick which didn't speak well of how it had been treated, but pretty certain it had power steering. Wouldn't have thought even Land Rover could have shifted a large 4x4 without power steering in 1994.

Having had a power steering pump belt fail on me, it made the vehicle (110) almost undrive-able the steering was so heavy without assistance.

A friend had a very early classic which did not have PS fitted, it was in mint condition and he sold it to a collector (in Japan) for a fortune. Every prospective buyer from UK whinged about it not having PS but, as he got fed up of pointing out, if he fitted PS it would no longer be original

I've got a 1980 Range Rover here which has manual steering - with the slightly larger early steering wheel it is surprisingly light to turn, you wouldn't notice much difference aside from the lack of leaks.  Considerably lighter than manual defender steering. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Isn't the manual steering lower geared, though? Just removing the power assistance from later vehicles is much as Neil describes on his 110. Okay on the move, but almost impossible to manoeuvre at low speeds.

I believe the manual box is a extra turn or two lock to lock but can't remember where I heard it.