Sunray-I40

Christmas present in the post today!   I've just got hold of a pair of 'Truckclaws II' to get out of the mud - so small, simple and with advantages over tracks and mats (I have used maxtrax till now!).  I'm looking forward to trying them out soon to see if i can discard my maxtrax!

On 12/30/2019 at 3:13 AM, RedLineMike said:

once the handles are bent to buggery they will be fun getting them back off

That was my first thought, alot of NZ tracks are hard clay or mudstone it will just F that handle on the edge of a rut and in the process its going to make a mess  of your rims especailly if they are low profile alloy, which realisticly are going to be the bulk of the buyers (there arn't alot of steel rims out there that the holes have enough clearance to let the strap sit on the rim surface and clear the disk caliper) 

I like the idea, cheaper and easier to store than chains, but no where near as versitle.... A good "super cheap auto" sales thing, but I can see alot of P'd off people who fit these to the wrong rims and damage brakes or rims lol 

On 12/28/2019 at 9:31 PM, ballcock said:

I would hate to see those being used on green lanes on a regular basis.

yes, sensible and judicious choice of when and where to use prevails, but I could have used them on the farm the week before they arrived. I was stuck near a field gate where the cattle churned up the mud too badly.  they would have been much quicker than lots of shuttles with the max trax or walking to the farmhouse for the tractor!  and would have left no trace beyond the cattle.

On 12/29/2019 at 4:13 PM, RedLineMike said:

once the handles are bent to buggery they will be fun getting them back off

if the handles are bent then just cut the strap.  the US Army and other agencies have bought them.  i can't see that happening without testing but I'll let you know how they go.  i'd be surprised if they bend that easily in the mud around where I am

On 12/30/2019 at 7:48 PM, De Ranged said:

That was my first thought, alot of NZ tracks are hard clay or mudstone it will just F that handle on the edge of a rut and in the process its going to make a mess  of your rims especailly if they are low profile alloy, which realisticly are going to be the bulk of the buyers (there arn't alot of steel rims out there that the holes have enough clearance to let the strap sit on the rim surface and clear the disk caliper) 

I like the idea, cheaper and easier to store than chains, but no where near as versitle.... A good "super cheap auto" sales thing, but I can see alot of P'd off people who fit these to the wrong rims and damage brakes or rims lol 

i wouldnt use them on hard clay or mudstone (see other posts).  for info they come with rim protectors for low profile wheels.

On 1/3/2020 at 9:42 AM, Stellaghost said:

I take it they are only of any use if you have some sort of spoked wheel can't see how they would work with standard land rover rims regards Stephen 

yes a spoked type of wheel or land rover wolf wheels - the straps will pass through the holes around the wolf wheel (and the holes in modular wheels).  sadly not the standard rim though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 9:42 AM, Stellaghost said:

I take it they are only of any use if you have some sort of spoked wheel can't see how they would work with standard land rover rims regards Stephen 

Just looked at standard wheels   the strap ought to pass through one of the 'slits' that are around the wheel.  the wheel is not solid all the way around.

On 1/3/2020 at 7:15 PM, Sunray-I40 said:

if the handles are bent then just cut the strap.  the US Army and other agencies have bought them.  i can't see that happening without testing but I'll let you know how they go.  i'd be surprised if they bend that easily in the mud around where I am

Don't use that as a selling piont.... I bought a 3/4" socket set, (think they are Tiger brand?), same brand as is spec'd for the US Army for there tanks lol was in the add... turned up and I was discusted at the manufacturing.... 6 piont sockets instead of 12 piont, I bent the T bar on first use and that was only with a 1/2m cheater pipe on it lol..... using my stahlwille 1/2" T bar and the same cheater bar I broke the 27mm socket doing up track bolts.... after I broke another two sockets (both by hand on 1/2" power bars) I gave the set away to a young mechanic lol 

And chatting about how bad they are, I've heard a few other storeys enough that if a product has that in its advertising I now do a double take lol 

Would be good if you update this thread in say 6 months to let us know how they really go and any issues 

9 hours ago, De Ranged said:

Don't use that as a selling piont....

2nd that, there's a military spec for toilet paper but that doesn't mean you'd want to use it :lol:

It's like "aircraft grade" aluminium... there's an aircraft grade aluminium that they make the coat hooks from, doesn't mean building a car with it is a good idea!