New starter woes

neilc

I booked the last week off work to spend time with my family ... Didn't happen , bleeding hands and back ache again ! , I've had to be lots of various things on the Land Rover , wife and family are not impressed . I only have one question , I gave up on old starter and bought a new one , it now starts first time everytime , however it makes a very brief grind before kicking in , it doesn't struggle it just makes a slight noise , any ideas , hopefully it's just the new one bedding in ( Please God ) .

Thanks 

Does this mean that the teeth are spinning against each other before finally engaging?  If so it may be the drive is sticky - ie the gear isn't flying along its shaft and mechanism as quickly as it should - which could even be due to poor connections. (remember the thing earths to the engine through the end of the case - so if its nicely painted it may insulate - and may do the same if the alloy is corroded.)

If the gear is slipping it may be there's damage to the flywheel teeth - in which case it ain't going to get better.

Have a look in the starter aperture, the ring gear is visible. 

IMG_20191226_181345.thumb.jpg.355c8b1e2a8c60b3c050af45a63b47bd.jpg

Is it a series 3? If so, you can see the bevel on the ring gear from the starter hole.

If it looks like this:

IMG_20191229_144023.thumb.jpg.863e4b3cbecc1b5a4b1364b899dc1917.jpg

It's not going to get better.

Thanks for responses , I have noticed that the engine slightly over runs on shut down , starter aperture looks fine with no damage (thank god for mobile phones ! and selfie sticks)  should i have greased the starter before putting it in ?, its seemed to run freely , I did check. should it literally have been greased with grease?

Thanks.