Jump to content

2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?


Recommended Posts

I'm rebuilding the engine that's going in my lightweight.

Is it worth a separate thread in the series forum? I know it's a 110 engine, but the conversion would apply to the 2286 the 2.5 is based on.

And, it's going in a series 😁.

 

IMG_20191229_134515.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay then.

The first thing it to get the engine on the stand.

IMG_20191229_155001.thumb.jpg.b6d3f0eacd6c1627bfb4a751698edf32.jpg

Then remove the crank shaft nut and pulley.

IMG_20191229_155607.thumb.jpg.31aab5a2a0068633e1af6b0efca9e0d5.jpg

 

That's the first time that puller worked!

Then remove the water pump and timing cover.

IMG_20191230_115140.thumb.jpg.69b96d5ff64219166b86ff9df2203d35.jpg

And then the timing chain is exposed.

IMG_20191230_115236.thumb.jpg.4495628cbbeb14054544b40517417ffc.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Off with his head!

Dreadful pun, I know.

Removing the rocker cover is really easy. And it's odd using metric spanners and kit, but I like it.

IMG_20191230_115145.thumb.jpg.19a10e5736d7c2eaba674b13394218f2.jpg

Then the first of the clamp bolts.

IMG_20191230_120918.thumb.jpg.e420c1623ca3227ecdf3fe36a0dbdd37.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

This engine is funny, it's been stored for ages, and some bits of it are really clean and oily, others are showing surface corrosion.

It turns over really easily, though, so I am not worried there is something major wrong with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The rocker gear is held by the head bolts, I think, I had to remove them to remove the gear anyways.

So I removed all the head bolts on the reverse order to the tighten sequence.

IMG_20191230_121051.thumb.jpg.7c4f57ea01b38b82c0f3a4f66262bd19.jpg

 

IMG_20191230_121259.thumb.jpg.d1c7ab98009870e2b5b55348b13f5599.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a bench ready, covered in cardboard, I was able to dislodge the head and lift it onto the bench.

What do you think?

What is that crud!?

Is this carbon? Or is it new valve time? 

IMG_20191230_122847.jpg

IMG_20191230_122901.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The next task was the timing chains and sprockets.

This wasn't easy.

First, I measured the wear, it was 21mm, 26mm is replace, 15mm is new.

IMG_20191230_141312.thumb.jpg.bc27076abfd2813d5b1dc5523c0fda61.jpg

I'll replace.

Everything.

IMG_20191230_141524.thumb.jpg.3c41a6407c37933ebdbdcbf979f3f9c4.jpg

Removed: tensioner and slipper pads.

IMG_20191230_142555.thumb.jpg.af66cfd548274fa55429e5af9dfdc18a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see you're getting down-and-dirty into the block.

Do you know anyone who can acid-tank 'pickle' it? It's the best way to get rid of decades of sludge in the oilways and corrosion in the water-passages. A pickle will give you a block as near as clean as it was when it was manufactured.

Be aware though that a 'pickling' can erode the surfaces of the camshaft-bearings - so you would be well-advised to have then pulled and replaced.

Do all this properly and you'll have an engine that will be good for decades-to-come.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The sprockets were tricky to remove. The cam sprocket was threaded to take bolts so, knowing the thrust plate is tough, I used them to jack the sprocket off.

IMG_20191230_143240.thumb.jpg.da90f123eaacd4a11c279bb72583ca7c.jpg

The crank sprocket was tighter. In the end I warmed it with the torch (very gently, hot to the touch but not burning), and sprayed freeze spray on the crank to get it going.

 

IMG_20191230_144026.thumb.jpg.0da6fba83d2408ad467602b7cca5330f.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

To remove the cam I had to loosen the grub screw hidden under the gasket at the oil filter.

IMG_20191230_145604.thumb.jpg.e27f60571c7c2c56d0a6a3b6b5f2ce7a.jpg

This allows the distributor drive to be lifted out.

IMG_20191230_145609.thumb.jpg.a760fd16e3136b217d9b15565bc2c8c9.jpg

The cam then is lifted out the front of the engine.

IMG_20191230_154722.thumb.jpg.939a1841412a748c67ae437bc077e2a4.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The cam journal looks fine at that end, but I'm worried that there is an underlying cause that I've not located, blocked oil gallery or bearing occluding the oil or something.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy