2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

List (from Nige)

Wiring loom kit
CTS sensor
MAT Sensor 
Coil pack bracket
G1 coil
Manifold sensor steel weld on boss ( for MAT to swan neck)
Ford coil pack power plug kit 
4 cyl DIY ignition leads kit with all ends etc 
MS ECU loaded 029Y programmed for V8 / EDIS

EDIS 4 and pigtail.

He thinks the vacuum take off will do for the MAP sensor, which is in the MS1 module.

Cool!

The studs for the throttle body are too long. The threads are too short.

IMG_20200617_180207.thumb.jpg.83dc2fd565d4111a2153f402c964ad73.jpg

I think I may have not bought wisely.

Still, I have a cheap tap and die set. Very cheap.

IMG_20200617_181300.thumb.jpg.a3f73d1c8a7690916bdd0daa3fe637ca.jpg

Using the vacuum for the MAP sensor means I can use the other aperature on the manifold for crank case ventilation, and a TDI vacuum pump on the distributer skew gear for servos.

With the crank trigger wheel there is no need for the cam position sensor. According to Nige.

It blocks the distributer hole beautifully.  I will consider your viewpoint.

I think fitting the pump is unlikely to turm it into a rather rough DI, but, if it does, I'll go the Hella electric pump instead.

Regardless, more "fabrication", though that may be over selling my skills.

Shortened studs.

IMG_20200617_191228.thumb.jpg.6d71194c618a63b603bf240ab5f6452d.jpg

Trial fit, for giggles.

IMG_20200617_191728.thumb.jpg.d8e0a98f4ee15534fb841e19d93434f6.jpg

TPS cable issue sizing.

IMG_20200617_191740.thumb.jpg.705f0ff3c3d510533f76fac932eb86af.jpg

The TPS cable plug will just fit. But I'd be happier with a more gentle path, so will probably relieve the alloy block a bit.

The cable doesn't clip on with the throttle body in place.

IMG_20200617_203317.jpg

IMG_20200617_203501.jpg

IMG_20200617_203551.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

Looking good👍

Can you slacken off the TPS screws to fit the cable plug and then nip them up afterwards?

Yes! Nice idea. Like it. I think that, and some gentle scalloping of the alloy, will get me there. 

Thanks.

I think I don't need the vac pump.

Do I have this right?

Crank case breather, on the rocker cover, to the existing boss on the swan neck.

Vacuum hose to servo, on the existing boss on the manifold 

Vacuum hose, on throttle body, to MAP sensor on MS1.

MAT sensor, on new boss welded to the swan neck.

That should do the job, shouldn't it?

Can I just cap the dizzy aperature? Or does the oil pump need something in the top of the skew gear in order to stop the gear from clattering on the cam shaft?

The dizzy is clamped in place, which must have an effect on the skew gear.

If I understand that you mean that you’re not fitting a distributor, even as a dummy, because MS makes it redundant, then you could consider the following.  Instead of having the vacuum from the induction system, so any variations in servo suction potentially affect the fueling and also introducing a point that can leak and cause lean running, why not fit a 12j-200Tdi vacuum pump? That’ll deal with you skew gear concerns (I don’t think that’s a problem), will close the aperture and give an independent vacuum source that always ensures servo suction without any possibility of affecting engine operation.  The vacuum port on the manifold or below the throttle body can then be capped off.  It wouldn’t look much like a distributor, though.

14 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I would seriously consider an electric vac pump rather than put anything else TDI near this wonderful petrol build ;) 

Bowie 69 may be upset.....

16 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Using the vacuum for the MAP sensor means I can use the other aperature on the manifold for crank case ventilation, and a TDI vacuum pump on the distributer skew gear for servos.

But the thought had occurred.....

33 minutes ago, Snagger said:

If I understand that you mean that you’re not fitting a distributor, even as a dummy, because MS makes it redundant, then you could consider the following.  Instead of having the vacuum from the induction system, so any variations in servo suction potentially affect the fueling and also introducing a point that can leak and cause lean running, why not fit a 12j-200Tdi vacuum pump? That’ll deal with you skew gear concerns (I don’t think that’s a problem), will close the aperture and give an independent vacuum source that always ensures servo suction without any possibility of affecting engine operation.  The vacuum port on the manifold or below the throttle body can then be capped off.  It wouldn’t look much like a distributor, though.

There's literally no reason other than a leaky servo hose or servo that will affect the running of the engine, and the risk of that is not any more than a breather or vacuum line connected to the inlet.

From a purely functional perspective, why no just use the inlet manifold as the vacuum source? It is there, no additional mechanical components required, quieter, less oil-leaky....

If you want a pure vacuum port for the ECU, you can buy screw in barbs for pennies, and while you work on the inlet, it will take about 5 min to put one in :)

Same for engine breather, if you want a separate one, fit one, all sorts of things available on ebay and the like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

There's literally no reason other than a leaky servo hose or servo that will affect the running of the engine, and the risk of that is not any more than a breather or vacuum line connected to the inlet.

From a purely functional perspective, why no just use the inlet manifold as the vacuum source? It is there, no additional mechanical components required, quieter, less oil-leaky....

If you want a pure vacuum port for the ECU, you can buy screw in barbs for pennies, and while you work on the inlet, it will take about 5 min to put one in :)

Same for engine breather, if you want a separate one, fit one, all sorts of things available on ebay and the like.

Because it’s a vulnerability you don’t need.  If the hose or the servo start leaking, it causes merry hell.  I think that was the cause of all the problems with my lightweight, and it foxed the next two owners too.  You need something to cover the big hole in the block anyway, so u less you want a dummy distributor for cosmetics, those seems a simple and useful solution that avoids the leak issues.

I'm inclined to agree with Bowie, but for a few reasons.

I think the vac pump discharges into the crank case, which would be a concern, but more concerning would be installation; I'd have to remove the skew gear and probably the oil pump in order to fit, once I'd obtained a pump in the first place!

A simple plate over the hole wouldn't take long to make, paint and seal. 

Does the distributer perform any role in oil control? Or is the oil pressure retained in the oil galleries purely by the skew gear?