2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

I can make a nice bracket to attach to that anchor point on the timing case. I've no idea what was there before, though.

I can bring the words up the front of the timing case and join the loom for the throttle body.

It should be away from the fan belt, and protected by it.

I shouldn't beat yourself up for not siting it rearward. Whilst shown, 'work-in-progress' my trigger-wheel / sensor install, even after 'clean-up', won't stand as something to be proud of.

I freely admit, I'm winging it. Mine sits a ready-victim, if all you achieve is to stow it out of harm's way to the fan-belt, you'll be doing better.

I've no idea what was there before, though.

(I think) You're referring to PAS mounting as shown in piccy? If you've plans (or think you might have one day), be minded to think ahead for pump-mounting. I have a PAS pump sitting LHS in that area. From memory, via another casting, hangs off that 'triangle'. I'd reckon the stock pump has to be simpler, but easy for me to say. I snaffled the casting, twin-pulley + pump with my last 17H - as a package. Also bought a Heystee PAS... way, way back. Such things used to be cheap.

PAS.png

Edited by Landrover17H

I've no plans for PAS. I've never found series steering heavy, but I grew up on a farm, some of the tractors had no assist whatsoever.

I know about upgrading a working truck, whatever works!

Fridge, I've an inkling that one of the top trigger wheels and a spacer would be ace, with some adjustment potential. My pulley is 135mm across, what exactly are they?

Oh, and one of the mounting brackets would be a great start point.

IMG_20200620_111221.jpg

42 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I've no plans for PAS. I've never found series steering heavy, but I grew up on a farm, some of the tractors had no assist whatsoever.

You're right,  my boy manages fine. I'm a 'Big-girl's-blouse', and getting old. I couldn't afford PAS these days. For others, it's poor but best pic I can find to hand... PAS mount looks like this...

PAS Mount 17H petrol.png

Edited by Landrover17H

I see! I'm on the look out for an Aircon timing case, they appear to be rare.

I fancy Aircon.

Fridge, I think the upper trigger wheels will be too big, there may be clearance issues with the timing mark pointer, which I'd really like to keep. But they look like the right thing, the adjustability would be really helpful.

IMG_20200620_164702.thumb.jpg.08c2b93ada2da5b3a06911481df463f9.jpg

Are they bigger than 135mm?

I might have to go with a trigger wheel right against the pulley, as the lower mount for the pointer doesn't give me much space.

IMG_20200620_164947.thumb.jpg.f1cfbb69c9dca105962e28c543a486c6.jpg

Borg and Beck or Delphi clutch should be fine.  I think Britpart sell those.  As for the release bearings, Hybrid From Hell sells good Japanese made bearings on metal carriers that resist wear and damage better than the standard plastic carriers, not that I’ve ever had trouble with the standard part.

I've asked lof clutches for a quote, I don't know if the bolts on a series are the same. I'll look up the party numbers in a mo.

I'll also fit one of their master cylinders, I've a puma pedal to go in. 

No point in giving the knee any more jip than necessary.

Can't see too many coilers sold with air/con in the UK, must be uber-rare. But 'whatdIknow?', you seem lucky. Trigger-wheel. Got mine via Trigger-wheels. I wanted the adjustable-slot type, but not made in any size near what was required. After machining a 'shelf' - rebate, timing marks where near gone, so had to mark them beforehand. Seems you're set for a better job than mine. With spacers that won't be an issue.

My notes say pulley = 136mm O/D 68mm I/D

If you do go for much the same solution as mine, wrt to trigger-wheel anyway, happy to take pix. This is a pic I took 'pre' the job, for the machinist

Trigger Wheel 136mm O:D 68mm I:D.png

Edited by Landrover17H

I think it's worth getting it right. If Nige can't oblige, I've a friend who does proper cad. 

I think having the non welded solution makes sense for me.

3 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Will the VR sensor work if the teeth are flush with the pulley? The OD of the trigger wheel is the same as the pulley?

Mine's been working like this for a long time - left is the V-belt setup, right is the current Serp setup on both the 109 and the 127, much flushness.

rv8_trigger_wheel.jpgtrigger_serp.jpg

I'm thinking of locating the ms box on the rear bulkhead. Between the seats.

But that means I've to bring the loom from the engine to the seat box area.

Would one of these work as a bulkhead connector?

Screenshot_2020-06-22-10-14-21-615_com.brave.browser.jpg