2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

6 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

I insist you stop now, I mean, you're doing too good a job of this? This puts us to shame. I was kidding when I said it last, yet you're really  lr4x4's answer to 'Project Binky'. All you want to do to complete the picture is explain  "Why it's perfect..."

Then change everything.

You could make a few more brackets...

Oh yeah, and never finish the thing.

It's a long way from Binky. And it's not perfect.

It's done well, and. Hopefully, once.

To help visualise the EDIS VR sensor setup:

Trigger_wheel_setup.jpg

You can of course rotate the VR sensor as long as you rotate the trigger wheel with it and keep the relationship about right.

You can trim it in MS to get it bang-on, but if you're too far out you'll run out of advance.

Yes, I think I've got it. 

The engine rotates Clockwise facing the front of the engine. 

When the engine is at TDC, the sensor is 90 degrees behind the missing tooth, over tooth 9.

This can be anywhere.

The plan is:

Re torque the bolts on nearly everything.

Spray coat 2 on the engine, asap.

Dry engine: meanwhile paint the extra bits, manifold, various brackets.

Once engine dry, fit fan belt. Then see how the bracket for the sensor needs to be hacked to fit. This gets the timing wheel angle.

Bowie wrote: Nowt wrong with a hot metal glue gun....

I don't know if he's kidding, but I'm not. I was going to glue mine. I've a few 17H knocking about, and fully intend to use my runner to orientate the trigger-wheel. The trigger-wheel now stands an easy 'interference fit'. I have it in my mind to shove  the pully/trigger wheel on my running engine and strobe-light the orientation using a spot of 'Bodger's Freind'... JB Weld. I'm lucky to have a 41mm flogging/ slogging ring spanner. Just before the JB Weld hardens, twiddle a bit until it's spot on. Being such a tight fit now, I reckon it'll never need welding-proper, but I will anyway.

Edited by Landrover17H

I think he means a mig welder.

Which is an option. It would make it a lot easier, and quicker than tapping the pulley, worrying about alignment and such like.

I could make a clamp to keep things tight, then tack in a couple of places.

Ummmm. I'm liking this idea more and more.

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

I think he means a mig welder.

Which is an option. It would make it a lot easier, and quicker than tapping the pulley, worrying about alignment and such like.

I could make a clamp to keep things tight, then tack in a couple of places.

Ummmm. I'm liking this idea more and more.

Yeh, precisely, as long as you have the alignment right from the off, there's no reason to remove it unless the pulley wears out, which you would do well to do....

Yes, shock loads would concern me. If I run a capstan, or go fording....

By the time I figure all this out, worry about distorting the steel, and damaging the seal land, I'd have drilled it and tapped it. 

This is a great thread ! And somehow I missed it. I was thinking ‘no updates on the lightweight for a while’ and then 32 pages of goodness to read. Great work Gazzar- can’t wait for this to jump threads and land into the Lightweight build. 😊

Thank you!

Should I put a link? Can I? 

I've ordered up a heap of stuff from Nigel, so lots more figuring to do in the next week or so. 

The blessed thing decided to put paint everywhere bar the engine, unless it was gobbed on in lumps that turned into runs.

Much cursing.

Followed by judicious wiping, a gun disassembly and fettle. Result, a nicely performing gun, first time ever.

IMG_20200707_195645.jpg

IMG_20200707_195846.jpg

• Like 2

I don't like RTV, or other instant gaskets, based mainly on finding noodles of it wrapped around water pumps and strainers in the past, not my doing.

What's wrong with a gasket between the flywheel and the engine? With a little skim of RTV at the bearing block leak point?

IMG_20200707_210650.thumb.jpg.10195be6b037d92b4d824bab7dfd1a42.jpg

The engine is drying over a couple of electric oil radiators, so, hopefully, in a few days the paint will be hard enough to cope with me messing about with the fan belt and alternator. Then I can see about the CPS VR sensor bracket design.

The spray gun was working quite nicely by that stage. I think that really is the difference.

When I come to spray the body work I'll see if I can reanimate my semi decent gun. I will need to get the whole air system in shape for that job, though. And buy a decent breathing apparatus for the 2k paint.