2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

37 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

It all needs to come apart anyway, to fit the bypass hose.

๐Ÿ˜… phew - I was worried for a minute there.

I had the same thing fitting the series housing onto the 200 - I bought new for that because I wanted the small hex wide flange bolts, so itโ€™s look right.

40F64C34-E4E6-4548-976E-CF6B51A23B91.thumb.jpeg.52626c2cc87b002db07e8712b0dc23d0.jpeg

6 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

The engine fan always seems to end up engine coloured in MOD units ;)

Along with pulleys, alternator, starter motor, flywheel housing, intake manifold... ย I think they must assemble and then dipย them!

Dip them, why would they not? Colour won't come into it. A second colour coming out? Doubtful, "Stores is for storing".... and initiative frowned upon. The adage stands:ย  "If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't, paint it,"

Here the coil sits on the rocker-cover, it's there to create space for fuseboxes/relays/swirl-pot etcย  Variously vertical, or horiz; never had it complain, I'll ask what it thinks.

Edited by Landrover17H

I think that a bit of a heat shield will be entirely sufficient. I was actually thinking of just welding the ford mount to the coil bracket, and have done with.

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

Along with pulleys, alternator, starter motor, flywheel housing, intake manifold... ย I think they must assemble and then dipย them!

I'm most of the way, then!

9 hours ago, Anderzander said:

๐Ÿ˜… phew - I was worried for a minute there.

I had the same thing fitting the series housing onto the 200 - I bought new for that because I wanted the small hex wide flange bolts, so itโ€™s look right.

40F64C34-E4E6-4548-976E-CF6B51A23B91.thumb.jpeg.52626c2cc87b002db07e8712b0dc23d0.jpeg

I just love this conversion.

ย 

Bowie 69,

I don't understand much about sparkplugs.

When your say, "colder", what is that and why do you say that? Learning time.

Thanks.

ย 

ย 

Minded to me running gas, and the natural stuff at that - more demanding than LPG, - hence a CR up at 11:1 I've not found plugs on this engine too critical. Compared to my set-up, relatively speaking running liquid, you'd have to be playing at it? I run stock plugs, Denso or NGK. Single-electrode basic with a narrowed 0.7mm gap for gas. ยฃ8-9 a set delivered these are thrown around as sweets to kids. I don't suppose I could get away with this asย  easily without Lambda control, but your metering is going to have mine look a joke. Unlike yours truly, you're being kind to your plugs. I would be surprised if you need anything more than cooking-grade and stock.

I shouldn't worry.

Edited by Landrover17H

All very interesting. I've increased the compression ratio quite a bit, and will be running a lambda sensor. With the cam changes as well, possibly 20 extra horses on top of the standard.

How would I know if the plugs are under stress? And what harm if I run the plugs that can cope with more heat?ย 

ย 

If you run a plug designed for hotter than you actually do, this is generally safer. All you'll do is soot things up and have it run poorly, losing power/economy. The other way: overheated plugs damage with molten metal, and ceramics floating about. I'm sure it's possible, but in my experience,ย  you'd have to be trying...

You'd succeed with weak-running or over-advance, something easy to do with gas when pressure runs low; or poorly set ignition/carbs. You've got mixture-control and liquid etc. It's clear you have a heap of mechanical-affinity, you'll know before that happens, you'll sense it, so i can't see it.

Edited by Landrover17H

If the plug is too cold a range, it will spot up and not last.

If it is too hot a range, you burn the electrode/ceramic out of it.

Just right and the plug will last ages, be clean, and brown tipped.

So it's about having the plug that runs at its ideal temperature, rather than anything else. Different driving can affect things, I remember in my old Morris Minor handbook, I think in hot countries you could change a heat range, but I am a bit fuzzy on the details there ;)

I've had plugs burn out on my Audi, purely, I think, because I drive it a bit hard.... The ceramic above the plug starts crumbling.

Ah, yes, pootiling along a green lane versus flat out on the autobann, all on the same holiday.

What impact would E85 have? Crystal ball gazing suggests that this will become more common.

Bowie makes a lot of sense ๐Ÿ˜Š

The hotter you run your engine the cooler the plug. So higherย compression orย higher boost then a cooler plug.

My experience is that if something is running rich orย cool a hotter plug can clean it up. ย If things are getting too hot then too hot a plug can cause preignition, then a cooler plug can sort that out.

One thing I might add is that eBay is flooded with fake spark plugs, and some of them are pretty rubbish. There are even guides out there for how they subtly differ in appearance from the real ย ones - so my advice would be - be wary ofย the cheapest and look at the ones with reviews.

Ethanolย burns cooler Iโ€™m told. Donโ€™t know what difference it would make if you were to use it, either neat or mixed, Im afraid.ย 

This is a minefield.

There's a cross reference look up that lists dozens of alternate part numbers for each plug, even from the same manufacturer.

Does it matter that much? BP7ES is it.

I'll try the local shop this weekend.

15943731181002945186629828521320.jpg

E85 runs fine in the V8 when we've been on the continent, but disagrees with the older style cork seal on the top of the fuel tank :( the newer moulded metal & rubber type I believe is immune but I couldn't make it actually seal <_< so I've resigned myself to not brimming it when we're abroad and/or having to do fuel tank gaskets on the regular. At least they're cheap and easy.

I think you're worrying too much about the coil pack, they live on top of engines in a lot of vehicles and the 2.25 isn't a fire-breathing twin-turbo beast.

I wasn't worried until Nige sucked in his breath. And mentioned resin melting!

Making the system E85 proof will be a challenge, but I think I'll be okay. The high pressure fuel pump should be easy source, the tanks I can probably manage. The military fillers must be sealable, there has to be a "rubber" that's is resistant to this stuff.

The tank switch over valve should be okay, and there's not much else, bar the lift pump.

Which could be tricky.

ย 

4 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I wasn't worried until Nige sucked in his breath. And mentioned resin melting!

Making the system E85 proof will be a challenge, but I think I'll be okay. The high pressure fuel pump should be easy source, the tanks I can probably manage. The military fillers must be sealable, there has to be a "rubber" that's is resistant to this stuff.

The tank switch over valve should be okay, and there's not much else, bar the lift pump.

Which could be tricky.

ย 

Would you need to retain the lift pump if you have the HP one?