2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

I find that if you work at it being really good, it looks right almost as a by-product.

And management have given clearance for a morning on this tomorrow. I'll start early.

All of that resonates. I find that I need a nights sleep to come up with the answer. Which is why I try so many excrement ideas, they act as manure for the good ideas.

And the foul ups are good for learning, and scrap.

Except spray painting. I always get that wrong. Bad kit, I suspect.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

I've said before, you're lucky to have a 17H. Reckon if most want such things, they're going to have to cobble one together using TDi cranks and 5MB 2.25 lumps. Until you came along, I was reckoning to have the best incarnation, thus more than happy to work in datum.

If I'm not mistaken, the TDi has a timing belt and the 2.5 petrol has a timing chain.  Does that affect the "cobbling" at all or is it yet another case of Land Rover (of old) being very benevolent to the tinkerer?

Which was fine, as I'd forgotten to zinc paint the pulley.

So, whilst that was drying I fitted other stuff, like sensors, senders, spigots and sling eyes.

PTFE tape features. And making things fit. I might have to redo some things if they leak.

The nice painted front sling eye was from something else, but I found the right one in the pile of engine bits, sprayed it and we are ready for engine stand removal in a few minutes.

IMG_20200718_093915.jpg

IMG_20200718_095404.jpg

IMG_20200718_102942.jpg

IMG_20200718_103042.jpg

IMG_20200718_105620.jpg

IMG_20200718_105627.jpg

14 hours ago, deep said:

If I'm not mistaken, the TDi has a timing belt and the 2.5 petrol has a timing chain.  Does that affect the "cobbling" at all or is it yet another case of Land Rover (of old) being very benevolent to the tinkerer?

To clarify:

All LR 5MB 2.5 engines, petrol or diesel 17H 2.5NA, 200TDi, etc share the same crank, and because most 17H went scrapped in the 200TDi craze, a 17H is a rare beast, money might not be the problem. You could be forced to cobble your own 17H. Whereas,  hard to find, but still obtainable is a 2.25 5MB Petrol. These were found in early coilers. I know for fact, these will take cranks from 'big brother' 2.5 lumps. In this context Belt or chain, makes no difference.

2.25 5MB Petrol lumps were first found  in the last of the S3. Never done this, careful: this may be heresay.... these are reputed to also take a 2.5 crank.

This route is still not cheap, 17H pistons and rods are easy to find, and  likely less than you'd pay for a tired 17H which needs new pistons anyway. Faced with a bill for new pistons, you could give ACR a call, and go to 2.8. That won't be cheap either, but this route never was. Do that, 2.8 with EFi and you'll take the crown from us all. Oh yes, and the cam across LR  5MB lumps is the same too.

Because the capacity is increased by long-stroking, this over the 3MB 2.25, alters the way power is delivered. It's this, along with cam and better head/carb in combination which moves torque lower. A decent 2.5 crank should be an easy find.

Converting a 2.5 5MB TDi to petrol? I hear it can be done, better than me knows. Possible or not, likely needs 17H parts, so doesn't sound cost-viable. Your mileage may vary.

None of the above applies to 3MB 4-pots. The problem is, the source for 2.5 lumps,  early coilers are desirable in their own right. Dare I say, pre 86, I'd own one... and I'm straight😀

Edited by Landrover17H

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

PTFE Tape? Loctite do pritt-stik style white thread sealant inna stick, it's great. I have a full set of sticks - coppaslip, threadlock, thread sealant and flange sealant.

I have PTFE tape. And none of those other things.

• Haha 1

First time using one of these seals, with the seal guide.

It worked really well. I used the bolts to tighten the housing on, so it was gentle.

IMG_20200718_130021.jpg

IMG_20200718_130433.jpg

IMG_20200718_130649.jpg

Then an old pinion came into play:

IMG_20200718_143730.thumb.jpg.02749420be86794459ba9b98ad4de704.jpg

I need to do a thorough tidy up now. I might have a go at fitting the engine tomorrow; I've a helper with a vested interest coming to visit.

He wants a new sill in his focus....

21 minutes ago, Diff said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Gazzar, but you've put your rear crank seal in the wrong way round. 

Regards, Diff. 

Yeah, I think Diff is right : /

That said, I'm thinking about how I've done mine now!

I didn't spot it, thankfully, others did. I can't guess how much extra faff it is to take pix and upload to a thread every time you as much as breathe. Yet what goes round, comes round. I promise, I don't get things right all the time either, the lesson here is definitely,  others looking over your shoulder pays. Well done to those sharper than me.

And heaven be praised, the clutch is green.

Edited by Landrover17H

2 hours ago, Diff said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Gazzar, but you've put your rear crank seal in the wrong way round. 

Regards, Diff. 

Diff, thank you, well done for spotting and flagging this. I appreciate it.

G

• Like 1

Now corrected. No photos, I was too annoyed.

It all came apart easily enough, though the silicone was a pain to clean up. I did note the excess silicone was encroaching on the space between the crank and the block, so I put a much lighter bead on this time.

The seal tool works in reverse just as well.

Much quicker to do this job when you have all the tools lined up and know the torque values.

And, I didn't lose anything.

The workshop is a mess, I locked the door and walked away when it was done.

• Like 1