2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

I have tried to persuade a lot of people to fit those longitudinal tie rods to Series vehicles for the last fifteen years or so.  Not only do they prevent the mounting rubbers from being sheared and the radiator from being contacted by the fan, which I assume to be their main purpose, but they make the standard Series hand brake hugely effective, rendering all other modifications to improve it unnecessary.  It’s one of those dull and relatively invisible mods that transforms an element of the vehicle’s operation.

Wish I'd heard you preach this Gospel to me, for I am one of your Disciples. There's just no good reason not to have one... saved me no end of hassle with zhorsts, mounts etc. Smoother gear-changes etc, I could bang on. And the lord said: Let there be Light, and there was Light.

And you could see for f*(k*&g miles.

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Haha 1

I have usually mentioned it in response to discussions about the handbrake, especially talk about replacing it with the X-brake, which while it is a good piece of kit, just isn’t necessary with this rod.  I also mentioned it in my blog.  But it’s not like I was taking out full page ads for it on here, so it’d be easily missed.  I just tried to find it on my blog, but can’t find a specific mention, which surprises me - I must have added it while doing a bunch of other jobs and forgot at the time, but I found it in a photo back from 2009 of when I was fitting SII suffix B low range gears to the transfer box, so it’s certainly been on there for over a decade.

Pedant/ 

Ahem, "bunch of other..."  Right there, that's the latest slice of "I want to be American". There's:

1) A bunch of Bananas.

2) A bunch of keys.

3) A bunch of fives.

4) A bunch of flowers...

We might have a heap, a lot, several, a few, or a handful. Maybe a range, an inumerable, or countless, but we can't have "a bunch of other jobs."  

I suppose "A bunch of vocabulary-bypass" is fine.

/Pedant

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

Pedant/ 

Ahem, "bunch of other..."  Right there, that's the latest slice of "I want to be American". There's:

1) A bunch of Bananas.

2) A bunch of keys.

3) A bunch of fives.

4) A bunch of flowers...

We might have a heap, a lot, several, a few, or a handful. Maybe a range, an inumerable, or countless, but we can't have "a bunch of other jobs."  

I suppose "A bunch of vocabulary-bypass" is fine.

/Pedant

Fair point and I concede.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:59 AM, Gazzar said:

As a language, English has stolen words, grammar and idioms from every other significant language (and French!!) on earth. It's a bas'tard mongrel language, and rightly proud of it.

I think recycling colonial phrases that have dropped out of use in England over time, isn't something in going to get irate about.

Know what I mean, Innit, daddio?

I work for a French company, and I'm forever winding them up about their terrible pronunciation of English words.😇😉

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184368445817?ul_noapp=true

I kid you not, I used get half-a-dozen for that kinda' price 4-5 years ago. And this looks a nice one. What with it not being in the back of beyond, and bidding done, reckon our winner will be paying easily in and around double again.

And it'll still be a bargain.

17H 2.5 Engine.png

Edited by Landrover17H

On 7/20/2020 at 11:36 AM, Gazzar said:

I'll drive it for a while first. The thing that kills the idea is the retention of the oil bath filter.

And I like the oil bath filter.

If you're commited to an oilbath filter it might be worth seeing if you can find one from a six cylinder. They're a bit bigger and supposed to flow more - it looks like this project might benefit from that.

Dan

I'm no fan of the K&N that sits with the ACR kit, yet it works - for the price. Anything else would add to ACR's kit price. Many a fruitless discussion about Tanks and other such anecdotal red-herrings mean it's pointless to say otherwise,  better to keep it simple. Say the oil-bath is 'wunderfool'. If it's half-hour messing with oil and regaling about Tanks, LR's oil-bath it is.

If making things breathe is the object, follow modern practice and fit the 90/110 filter box with its paper element. They're a fiver an element on eBay, and they'll pay for themselves in fuel savings alone. This before we even speak of flow. Early paper-elements were a consumable for the motor trade to sell, and it was good when they clogged, and didn't flow. This made K&N's reputation back in the  day. Sadly, for the trade, emissions regs killed that racket. Have you seen modern paper jobbies, and their size? These days you'll do well to match, let alone better, a modern factory flow-benched box with any K&N.

A Series LR is from the era, where a K&N was an improvement.

Now back to blokes with beards, and Fordsons, and Tank-anecdotes. They won't have one of these in their shed....

Flowmeter.png

Flow.JPG

Edited by Landrover17H
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Oil bath, and snorkel.

I know the debate.

I’m sure the 6 pot has the correct adapter elbow to suit the SU and allows the oil bath filter to be retained if that’s your preference. I investigated his when I was going to fit that Rover 3.0 into my truck.

• Like 1

I've a nice snorkel version of the oil bath for this. If I need extra  air flow I'll run it with a low oil level, but as the throw body is only 45mm at is narrowest, the oil bath can't be the restriction, or can it?

29 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I've a nice snorkel version of the oil bath for this. If I need extra  air flow I'll run it with a low oil level, but as the throw body is only 45mm at is narrowest, the oil bath can't be the restriction, or can it?

I’ve read previously that the oil bath filter is very efficient so I don’t think there would be any problems running that 2.5. If you supercharged it then maybe but as it is at the moment, I wouldn’t worry.

This is the elbow I was talking about.

ADC09699-6D81-46F1-BAB7-00EEBACFBA86.jpeg.c299ec7f01909713323f3d94e5778e5b.jpeg

Oh!

Tidy.

I think I'll be okay. The throttle body almost replicates the zenith carb, size wise, so I'm planning on using the original swan neck and trunking.

4 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Oh!

Tidy.

I think I'll be okay. The throttle body almost replicates the zenith carb, size wise, so I'm planning on using the original swan neck and trunking.

Of course! You’re running a TB not an SU 🤦‍♂️

It’s my age 😉

I’ve read previously that the oil bath filter is very efficient

It is, oh it is. 'Tis written. Keep up. Most of us have come across the mantra. It's Land rover folklore, so much so, that in some circles to say anything else is seen as blasphemy. The oil-bath is efficient, and to clean costs  only half-hour of your time, and the price of half-a-gallon of parraffin. Don't know why all vehicles don't have them, "I've had mine for forty years with never a hitch, fitted to tanks you know." What's a flowmeter? etc.

Best we park it there.

There's a whole thread for LR myths, folklore and legend.

Edited by Landrover17H

Said so, and Gary young fella,  you're lucky to have one

Smug/

Yup, said so... and seems it went cheap too. 'All buses come at once' and all that. Some plonker puts his 17H up against this first one, a few days back?

Another eBay 17H

Thus not forcing buyers, 'to take the last cab on the rank', as it were. This must have factored in bidding. He deserves to be carved-up, but these are getting so rare, he likely won't be. That's number five on eBay in three years.

/Smug

A 3MB 2.25, struggles to see £400.

17H  Said so..png

Edited by Landrover17H

That eBay result just makes me sad. I fitted a 5MB to my 88" ground-up rebuild. It cost me £100 which I thought was a lot. The New TD5 bulkhead, to which I fitted the series footwells and tunnel, cost £167. It wasn't very long ago really. Then stupidly I sold the whole vehicle. 

Edit: although maybe my engine wasn't quite the same as that. I don't know. Same colour, petrol, 2-1/4. I just don't know the code.

Edited by Peaklander
  • Like 1

I paid £100 for mine. It was a decade ago, at least.

I've been distracted by domestic duties, welding up rusty Fords and changing resistors in Volvos, as well as fixing lawn mowers.

Oh, and I built a wall.

And washed a bit of the workshop floor.

But, I did get some bits fitted.

IMG_20200725_173603.jpg

IMG_20200725_174500.jpg

IMG_20200725_180254.jpg

IMG_20200725_180256.jpg