2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

Mine was LR Gen Parts, so no excuse for a bad fit.  I later replaced it with a DoubleS stainless single box system that wasn’t great, but My Steve Parker exhaust was worse.  Exhausts seem to have very poor tolerances.

Yup in my front-pipe antics, I'd clobber it or it'd corrode. But.... because replacements would always finish 'pointing' the whole system in another place, (and it doesn't have to be by much), it'd mean a near-complete refit every frickin' time.

Hence I have as large a bet as you'll take, that your er... 'identical' system is vastly different to mine!

Edited by Landrover17H

I've still to resolve the back box alignment with Roland. He's working on it, he has another 88 with his kit in it and it fits fine. But he's not using his front manifold.

Intermediate pipe comparison.

IMG_20200818_191958.jpg

IMG-20200818-WA0003.jpeg

As i said, I've had all manner of pain with exhausts:

The root of the woe is the routing over the gearbox-mount etc.

Part: LAND ROVER SERIES 1/2A/2/3 PETROL EXHAUST PIPE 517469

Not found one that just fits, frankly the path the pipe takes over the gearbox-mount must be so spot-on as to allow for little tolerance. Something that is hard to achieve, and with the vagaries of a Series LR,  it's hardly surprising there's issues. Roland has the same problem.

I think I'm right in saying it's the front-tank position in 88s and early 109s that restricts the head-room over the gearbox mount? meaning most can't go longer and higher (marked red). Running the tanks rearward, (S3 109), I can of course.  I've heaps of headroom. But those afflicted with 'lack of real length' force the constraint on the rest of us anyhow.

Where the front-pipe 'lands' dictates where everything else is forced to sit, and so it goes... and none of these pipes have joints-enough to 'wiggle'.

Yup, every front-pipe I've seen 'lands' differently. When I finally got my system to fit with a given 517469 pipe, I immediately thought to grab my chance. I bought another from Craddocks. But - they beat me anyway, the second arrived, but clearly not sourced from the same batch. Thus having spent the  afternoon fighting to get the first to 'sit', when the time comes, I'll still have to do it all again for the second.

I've seen the custom-jobs route 'pipery' centrally which makes more sense, I've seen some Steve Parker kits take this route. Either way, sorry if I repeat myself - expect pain.

I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast.

LAND-ROVER-SERIES-12A23-PETROL-EXHAUST-PIPE-517469.jpg

Edited by Landrover17H

On 1/14/2020 at 12:45 AM, lo-fi said:

I think you'll appreciate this channel:

Reassembly starts here on this engine:

A beautiful build, he makes great videos. 

I’ve just come back to those to say thank you for sharing @lo-fi

Fantastic channel - it’s like some sort of idyllic life! Lovely people, great pace of life, and fantastic projects. 😊

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had hoped to get back to this sooner, but, well, circumstances...

I've a couple of "house fall down, decorate or divorce" projects to finish, then it's the air system in workshop, and then I can get back to this.

For today, some green oak frame work. Necessary to keep the garage up, so I can get to the ladder that's currently holding the roof up, which I need to fit the curtains on the landing. After that, peace will prevail.

IMG_20201214_210741.jpg

IMG_20201219_121754.jpg

IMG_20201129_162044.jpg

• Like 3

That's what I am missing.  With nobody here to utter dire threats, this place is turning into a bit of a cesspit.  Yet work on the Land Rover and trailer and Merc isn't progressing either!  So I am impressed with your shed work etc. and I'm sure you'll get back to your weird project soon enough.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gazzar said:

For today, some green oak frame work. Necessary to keep the garage up, so I can get to the ladder that's currently holding the roof up, which I need to fit the curtains on the landing. After that, peace will prevail.

Ha Ha! That's almost the reverse of the butterfly flapping its wings, that then causes a hurricane somewhere.