2.5 petrol rebuild and conversion to EFI thread?

Gazzar

But on the topic of oil pressure, where is the best place to plumb a gauge in?

I know it's the filter at the moment, but that's before the bearings, so I'd never know if the cam followers are getting enough lube.

1 minute ago, Gazzar said:

But on the topic of oil pressure, where is the best place to plumb a gauge in?

I know it's the filter at the moment, but that's before the bearings, so I'd never know if the cam followers are getting enough lube.

Use a tee in the filter housing port for the low pressure light switch, so you can use that switch and a pressure sender or capillary line. Holden Vintage and Classic sellthem and the instruments.

If you want oil temperature, and don’t mind spending a bit extra, then Holden also do the 3-in1 LR gauge with fuel in the bottom arc (where the charge light normally is) water temp on ones side and oil temp on the other.  No need for a voltage regulator on that unit, either, as it’s incorporated in each individual gauge.  I got one for about £80 in 2005.  Smart way of getting the extra reading without mounting more round dials on the dash.  But if you’re already going to fit a pressure gauge and don’t need space for other gauges, then a pressed panel to mount two small Smiths oil gauges would be a good solution, and I think you can get classic Smiths combined oil temp and pressure gauges.  Not sure which turns out dearer, but they have it all on their site, and using the Smiths Classic gauges with black face and black bezel matches very smartly with the original Jaeger instruments.

Sounds Wizard. I think if I get the engine running, I'll be happy enough. I've Saturday set aside to finish the clean up. Hopefully my mate of a mate will steer me in the right direction next week, and I can start the rebuild.

Etcetera.

I remembered to remove the pivot pilot bush.

Using an old pinion and some scabby grease.

I was surprised when it actually worked.

I had to break up the bush to get the pinion to complete the removal. 

IMG_20200118_115155.jpg

IMG_20200118_115335.jpg

IMG_20200118_115624.jpg

IMG_20200118_115922.jpg

The crank journals looked like it is probably due a grind. 

Pistons don't look terrible, rings obviously replace.... 

Check the pads on the rockers, but also need to disassemble to check for scoring on shaft/Rockers. 

The crank feels really smooth, mirror like, but the photos don't reflect that, I think there's particles in the light oil I've sprayed on the journals.

I hope to get a more experienced opinion on Tuesday. If it were me, I'd stick new shells on, and call it fine. But I'm of Yorkshire Scots descent, so have a tendency to exhibit tight fistedness. I know of this tendency, so try to compensate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The valves have a lot of deposits. Is this normal.

I took two out, and started to clean,  but ran out of time.

I think I'll replace the valve with deposits.

If they aren't mad money, I might do both.

IMG_20200118_165152.jpg

IMG_20200118_165213.jpg

IMG_20200118_165425.jpg

IMG_20200118_165454.jpg

IMG_20200118_165459.jpg